Kids chalkboard table

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
A while ago DavidF posted a Project request on behalf of a coworker of his. http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8841
He didn't have time in his busy schedule of fine woodworking to make it :lol::lol:
I took on the project, because it looked fun and was going to a good cause.
I was shocked at how poorly the plans were written and how poorly the table was to be constructed. The original plans called only for support of the 3/16th hardboard around the perimeter. And the legs were just screwed into the miter jointed frame. I added some cross bracing to support the hardboard in the middle and cross braced the corners where the legs connected. The mitered frame was splined and all the sharp corners were given a ¼" round-over. I have a child and I know they will climb on it and more than likely run into it a few times.
Here's my version of that Home Depot project. Sorry for the crappy pic, I had to snap it quick before delivering it earlier this evening.

Weed_pot_001.jpg

Thanks for looking :icon_thum

Dave:)

erasmussen

New User
RAS
Looks great:eusa_clap
and you braced it up:)
and rounded the sharp edges, good all around job
but whats the green thing on it?:eusa_thin

DaveO

New User
DaveO
The green thing is a plastic flower pot to hold chalk and other art supplies. The original planned called for three, but I thought that was too much space taken away, so I made one larger one.

Ed, I put on 3 coats of the slate chalk board paint. My first was brushed on and it dried to quick to flow out and got some brush marks. The second was rolled on with a foam roller, but it didn't smooth the brush marks. The third was rolled on after sanding everything smooth with some 320 grit, and it's almost as smooth as a piece of slate.
It was the most difficult paint I ever worked with :BangHead:

Dave:)

MikeH

New User
Mike
Dave the table looks great. It sounds like you figured out how to make the paint work for you.

Again great job!

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Good idea on the addl bracing, splines, roundovers. The slate paint looks good from here. Some lucky kids are gonna have a ball on that chalkboard table. :icon_thum

Where's the matching chairs? :slap:

Chuck :)

DavidF

New User
David
Good idea on the addl bracing, splines, roundovers. The slate paint looks good from here. Some lucky kids are gonna have a ball on that chalkboard table. :icon_thum

Where's the matching chairs? :slap:

Chuck :)

Funny you should mention that, but Jennifer only said this morning that she was going to ask Dave to make some chairs as none of her existing kiddy chairs are the right height!!!

Thanks for picking this up Dave, Jennifer is very happy with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors