Keeping track of boards/inventory

NCGrimbo

NCGrimbo
Corporate Member
I've amassed a fairly large collection of boards from having project leftovers, projects I've decided to not do, and projects that I've not started. While a lot of the boards are long and wide, I also have a decent number of cut offs and turning blanks. [Wow. That sure sounded like a humble brag. :cool: ] I'm planning on making a bed this summer and I realize that it sure would be nice to know if I have enough wood to do that project instead of my normal run out and buy what I need for the project.

My question is how do you keep track of your wood/inventory? Anyone use a phone/tablet app or computer spreadsheet? If so, how is that working for you?

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Nothing that tech savvy - I have 5 spots I store material arranged by Material length. - less than
A-Cutoffs less than 2 ft
B- 4'
C-4-8'
D- Above 8'
E- Sheet stock

I would like to state my material totally arranged by type,
Ha ! yeah-not.
I do have it sort of segregated by color as well Reddish, Brown, White and other.

Currently I have about 1300-1400 bd ft 60% being Mahogany

That's what I do. I am sure real cabinet businesses must have a better system...... yeah I am not that guy ;)

RickR

Rick
Senior User
I like Oka’s approach. Useful but not so complex as to be a burden. I don’t have a big inventory of wood but I save hardware and sort it similarly. Eg nuts 1/4 and less, #6 screws of any length, etc. Not perfect but limits the search time.

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
I don't have enough to keep inventory of, however, I have seen people painting different colors on the end grain and then writing with a contrasting marker the board feet of the board. For example, white = white oak, red = red oak, yellow = pine, etc...

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Don't really have an inventory or catalog system, but I do have quite a few (too many) scrap areas like the one below around the shop. I try to write the species and length on the board end for quick identification. I can tell the width and thickness by looking at it. Not perfect but it does save time when I need 1 or 2 pieces for a small job.

Attachments

• IMG_3602.JPG
    IMG_3602.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 91

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Sheet stock gets the species written on a visible edge when I have several types stored against a wall.
Drop from solid lumber two feet or so in length are for me the biggest storage problem. Every now and then I'll just glue them up into a solid panel for use as drawer backs or drawer sides on a shop project where species continuity isn't an issue and thickness will likely be taken down to 5/8"

1     s 1 - 1.jpg
Various scraps glued up for drawer sides
1     s 2 - 1.jpg
salvaged strips all of the same species
1     s 3 - 1.jpg
A good example of drawer sides made from glued up scrap
1     s 4 - 1.jpg
A variety of species
1     s 5 - 1.jpg
Another glue-up of a species variety. Some wood is salvages. In this case, I'll take a glued up panel and glue more scraps on the end, making a wider panel.

AlanJ

New User
Alan
No Records, just mostly sorted by type on high shelving 8-9 feet above the floor, sheets in corner, and smaller pieces in various places, a 35 gallon trash can for medium chunky pieces, and several drawers full of doll house and toy size pieces of hardwood.
when it’s smaller than that I use the shop vac to dispose of it.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I look around every few months and make mental notes.
I too make mental notes, then when I see some interesting looking wood I buy more... then when I get home I can put it next to the last stuff I bought of exactly the same stuff! (mental notes = mind like a sieve)

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I too make mental notes, then when I see some interesting looking wood I buy more... then when I get home I can put it next to the last stuff I bought of exactly the same stuff! (mental notes = mind like a sieve)
I have enough now that I only buy when I have a specific project to build.

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
I have a complete data base sorted by species and then by lengths and what I think I can yield from each board that I can search through at the start of each project....hahaha yeah right. I stand and stare and the shelves of lumber before each project because I have no clue what I actually have.

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
Any wood that I purchase, I write the species and BF on the side with a sharpie. I can just look at my racks and add up the numbers quickly

However, i often find that I am short and end up buying new lumber for the project anyway as I prefer all to be from the same color and grain type which is easier when buying.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Any wood that I purchase, I write the species and BF on the side with a sharpie. I can just look at my racks and add up the numbers quickly

However, i often find that I am short and end up buying new lumber for the project anyway as I prefer all to be from the same color and grain type which is easier when buying.
That's an excellent strategy for keeping a good color match in a project.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS