Just an FYI on Harvey

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I noticed they now show one of their industrial spindle shapers under the Eagle series. I believe they make a lot of the industrial sliding table saws sold under many brands. Makes me wonder if they will OEM brand many of the other tools they make and if they will use the best of multiple designs as they have upgraded their Alpha and Ambassadors designs with lessons learned. Encouraging where so many brands are going the other way ( Dare I say Delta?)

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
Most companies will not allow contract manufacturers to use their new or innovative design details. Companies that don’t do their own manufacturing typically don’t design for manufacturing. In my experience a design that is better for manufacturing is usually better overall. It’s also more consistent quality because it is working within capabilities. It’s easy to design something complicated, but it’s complicated to design something simple.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
YEa, OEM licensing etc. Depends on who does the design. FOr instance, my TS is virtually identical to a Griz. Just a little better tolerances.
Did you check out the Eagle line I referenced? Look at some of the pictures of the Harvey manufacturing facility for some hints. THere are only a handfull of OEMs that make all the tools. Many designs are old and often the brand name does not do the design, just a spec and price point. Design is by the OEM.

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
Yes, that Eagle series looks very good. Makes you wonder if they are also manufacturing machines or parts for industrial machines like Felder or SCM. Some of that stuff looks like it would work great for a router coping sled.😉

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Cool. The dovetail trunnion is a step up from my pivot trunnion. If they had it in 3 HP, I would have bought it, but I am a little power limited in my shop.

goodmanbass

goodmanbass
User
I think both the 3hp and 4hp are 16 amp draw from what I recall on Harvey's site. Their marketing is a bit of mess to sort through.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I think both the 3hp and 4hp are 16 amp draw from what I recall on Harvey's site. Their marketing is a bit of mess to sort through.
Kind of violates the law of physics unless the 4 HP is actually 3 and if so, their loss on me buying the lower end saw. ( Which I am very happy with) Soft start would help in either case. 3 HP is usually specified for s 20A line and 4 a 25 amp line. 5 HP 30A.

Part of my power issue is probably buying the wrong dust collector. I have the 5 HP Clearview. Fantastic for chip makers like jointer and planer. OK on the TS, but about everything else does better with higher lift, lower flow. Miter saw, router table, disk and belt sanders, and of course all hand held tools. Even the band saw my experiments in focused cross flow suggest a vacuum cleaner to be a better option. Could be the Oneida high lift unit, or that funky 3 motor green thing would have been better. Rethinking everything with experience. A pair of $35 Ridgid vacs and dust deputies working in tandem may actually be superior. Blowing into the big Winn HEPA filters of course although I am reconsidering the outside exhaust and how much that would actually cost me in HVAC and de-humidification.

goodmanbass

goodmanbass
User
Kind of violates the law of physics unless the 4 HP is actually 3 and if so, their loss on me buying the lower end saw. ( Which I am very happy with) Soft start would help in either case. 3 HP is usually specified for s 20A line and 4 a 25 amp line. 5 HP 30A.

Part of my power issue is probably buying the wrong dust collector. I have the 5 HP Clearview. Fantastic for chip makers like jointer and planer. OK on the TS, but about everything else does better with higher lift, lower flow. Miter saw, router table, disk and belt sanders, and of course all hand held tools. Even the band saw my experiments in focused cross flow suggest a vacuum cleaner to be a better option. Could be the Oneida high lift unit, or that funky 3 motor green thing would have been better. Rethinking everything with experience. A pair of $35 Ridgid vacs and dust deputies working in tandem may actually be superior. Blowing into the big Winn HEPA filters of course although I am reconsidering the outside exhaust and how much that would actually cost me in HVAC and de-humidification.
Totally agree. Just quoting what's on the website, which says 16 amp for the 4hp. We'll see when it arrives.

If you're looking to change up dust collection, I'm a big fan of the harbor freight model with a home made thein baffle. Works very well for me, but the thein baffle chop separator is a necessity

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Totally agree. Just quoting what's on the website, which says 16 amp for the 4hp. We'll see when it arrives.

If you're looking to change up dust collection, I'm a big fan of the harbor freight model with a home made thein baffle. Works very well for me, but the thein baffle chop separator is a necessity
Not going from a cyclone with HEPA filters to a HF dust atomizer. As I mentioned, the issue is lift vs flow.
I have a small CV cyclone on my Fein vac and it generated far more flow due to it's greater lift on small diameter ports. I measure these things. Better collection from the miter saw and the router shroud. The big CV is the champ where you have big ports, huge airflow and big chips. Jointer, planer, etc. I have a 4 inch port on my overarm and a 6 inch on the TS cabinet. Now, if the airflow was focused inside a blade shroud, as I am experimenting with on the BS, then the higher lift may win.

A thein baffle is no where near as effective as a proper tall cyclone. Again, tested this myself. Note some cheaper cyclones are too short to do the job very well. The HF one for one, and my Dyson vac for another.

Wood machine makers seem to never have hired anyone who paid attention to fluids 101. If so, they would not have square edges on ports and center blocking screens. No shade-tree hot-rodder would be so stupid.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS