Jr. Emperor on BOW

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
My friends daughter is graduating from college next month and asked me to make this for her for her graduation. I actually ended up really liking this kit.

IMG_19252.JPG

IMG_1930.JPG

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
That's a beautiful pen Kevin! I'm sure she'll enjoy it. What kind of wood?

(cough) calendar contest (cough) :wink_smil

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
That is a really nice pen. I like BOW. It and the 22K gold really go together good. Nice job.

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Really Great Job Kevin,

I am so wanting to try out the Pen Making, Because That is one B-E-A-UTIFUL Pen!

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
Really Great Job Kevin,

I am so wanting to try out the Pen Making, Because That is one B-E-A-UTIFUL Pen!
Matthew you really should jump into it. It is alot of fun. Kinda instant gratification type of thing.

Thanks for all the comments. I am extremely happy with the end product. My wife wants one just like it. She has a birthday coming up soon. Guess I need to get it ordered today since her birthday is this weekend. It will just have to be a little late. Oh well.. I wasn't sure if she would like it but she does so a Ordering I will go.. :)

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Matthew you really should jump into it. It is alot of fun. Kinda instant gratification type of thing.

I would sure love to just jump right in, :dontknow: But I am not really sure what all I would have to buy. :dontknow: I have been looking at Pennstate and see there kits, :icon_scra but is there anything else I need. :help: I know I need a mandrel, but which one and do I need to have a press to push the bushing into the wood?

If someone could tell me everything I would need to get started that would be greatly appreciated.:notworthy:
:help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help:

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
I would sure love to just jump right in, :dontknow: But I am not really sure what all I would have to buy. :dontknow: I have been looking at Pennstate and see there kits, :icon_scra but is there anything else I need. :help: I know I need a mandrel, but which one and do I need to have a press to push the bushing into the wood?

If someone could tell me everything I would need to get started that would be greatly appreciated.:notworthy:
:help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help:

Matthew,

The basics would be the Mandrel, I use a Woodcraft professional adjustable mandrel, I have not had any issues with any of the bushing sets so far and I have ordered from CSUSA, Pen State and Woodcraft.

A drill press and a centering jig are needed, thin and medium ca are what I use, thin for glueing the brass(Some people use medium or thick and even 5 Min Epoxy) I use the medium to apply my CA finish. As far as pressing the pens together a press is nice but not needed I have used a clamp before to press them together you just have to make sure to be careful with either one. Once you have the mandrel and a way to bore the wholes you really can use any woodturning tools. I use a set of Pen Turning tools right now, I mainly use a roughing gouge and then the skew for final size/shaping. I buy a set of sand paper from HF that has 150-400 grit they are 1" wide strips and on a roll, I usually go from 150 - 400 then jump over to the Micromesh and go 1500 - 12000. I think I have everything as far as basics. Oh if you are doing acrylic you will want some form of plastic polish. I am sure some others will chime in here and remind me of some other things I have forgotten.

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
Matt, this is what I used to get started.

http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Mer...reen=PROD&Product_Code=154958K2&Category_Code=

A pen press is a nice to have but it is something you can build. A vise or even clamps can also be used for that purpose. A vise or jig is a must if you plan to drill your blanks on a drill press but with a little practice you can drill them right on the lathe.

+1 on drilling on the lathe. I will eventually start doing that once I upgrade to a bigger lathe. I really don't want to spend any money on an MT1 lathe. That kit that Scott showed you will get you started I knew I would forget something the barrel trimmer. :) That one only has the 7mm barrel so you would need to make a set of bushings to go into larger pens or buy the new reamers from somewhere...

If I remember you are fairly close to DaveO he has made some really great looking pens he can probably help you locally. :)

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Matt, this is what I used to get started.

http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Mer...reen=PROD&Product_Code=154958K2&Category_Code=

A pen press is a nice to have but it is something you can build. A vise or even clamps can also be used for that purpose. A vise or jig is a must if you plan to drill your blanks on a drill press but with a little practice you can drill them right on the lathe.

Cool, That looks good!:icon_thum So is this one: http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/s...ing_Essentials_Kit___pen_essentials_kit?Args= the same or better/worse? What should I look for between the two? And should I get the 2MT or 1MT, What's the difference? And what is the Drill chuck version? Or should I save up and get something like this: http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/s...en_Turning_Starter_Kit___pen_starter_kit?Args= Or do I even need those tools? I have made some oland tools with Earl (have 4 so far). And then ther is this one: http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/s...r_Sets___Beginner_Kit___pen_beginner_kit?Args=

Just getting a little confused.:icon_scra But so appreciate the help, I am getting closer to trying out this pen making!

Thanks again:notworthy:

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Matthew,

The basics would be the Mandrel, I use a Woodcraft professional adjustable mandrel, I have not had any issues with any of the bushing sets so far and I have ordered from CSUSA, Pen State and Woodcraft.

A drill press and a centering jig are needed, thin and medium ca are what I use, thin for glueing the brass(Some people use medium or thick and even 5 Min Epoxy) I use the medium to apply my CA finish. As far as pressing the pens together a press is nice but not needed I have used a clamp before to press them together you just have to make sure to be careful with either one. Once you have the mandrel and a way to bore the wholes you really can use any woodturning tools. I use a set of Pen Turning tools right now, I mainly use a roughing gouge and then the skew for final size/shaping. I buy a set of sand paper from HF that has 150-400 grit they are 1" wide strips and on a roll, I usually go from 150 - 400 then jump over to the Micromesh and go 1500 - 12000. I think I have everything as far as basics. Oh if you are doing acrylic you will want some form of plastic polish. I am sure some others will chime in here and remind me of some other things I have forgotten.

If you Buy a pen kit, do you also have to buy the bushings? :dontknow: Or if you have a mandrel and glue and tools can you just buy a pent kit and put it together and thats it? Nothing else to buy??? :dontknow:

Thanks RcFlyer :notworthy: .....Ps Do you actually have a Rc Flyer?:icon_thum

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
Each pen kit will have a set of bushings you will need to purchase that allows you to size the pen correctly as well as keep it centered on the mandrel and gives you something to mount the blank to when turning it.

As far as MT1 or MT2 it depends on your Lathe. I think you got Dave's old HF lathe which would be an MT2 it determines the size of the insert that goes into the headstock of the lathe most of them are MT2 with the exception of some of the Mini's out there which is what I have right now. The bushings that come with those kits are for the Slimline pen which is a 7mm kit it's what most people will start out with although you really can start with any of the cheaper kits. I started with a Woodcraft Atlas. If you already have tools I wouldn't really worry about the kit with the turning tools if not that one looks like a pretty good kit to start with. It uses a friction polish which can give you a nice shiny finish. I haven't tried it yet I have been using CA for all of my finishes.

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
As far as the RC Planes go, I used to be into them pretty heavily. I had a handful of planes. I would like to get back into it. I am going to order some kits just so I can build the planes, I enjoyed that as much as flying them, that's part of what lead me into woodworking. I am thinking about asking for a 1/4 Scale Clipped Wing Piper Cub for Christmas this year. It is one of my favorite planes.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Matt, I mostly use a roughly gouge and skew to turn my pens. I am sure everyone has their favorite tools. The HF lathe is an MT2. Some of the internet suppliers have specials where they give you the bushings when you order so many kits. Keep in mind a set of bushing can be used to turn many pens. Bushing are not a one and done.

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Hey Kevin,

Is this the atlas? http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=5848 It doesn't look like it has everthing like the other begginer kits do?

So which of these two kits would you choose?
1: http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/s...r_Sets___Beginner_Kit___pen_beginner_kit?Args=
2: http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Mer...reen=PROD&Product_Code=154958K2&Category_Code

And yes I have Dave's HF lathe and am loving it!

Or If you can give me links to everything I would need at Woodcraft, since they are having free shipping on everything, ending today!

Thanks again Kevin for helping a brother out!

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Matt, I mostly use a roughly gouge and skew to turn my pens. I am sure everyone has their favorite tools. The HF lathe is an MT2. Some of the internet suppliers have specials where they give you the bushings when you order so many kits. Keep in mind a set of bushing can be used to turn many pens. Bushing are not a one and done.

Thanks Scott,:icon_thum

I was thinking that the bushing went inside the pen. :slap: Maybe I just need to see a how to and what each item is and so on.

Sincerely,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS