Jointer wanted

Echd

C
User
I have 8” Grizzly, which has served me well with straight cutters. Still in perfect condition.

Have to upgrade to a 12” at some point, as we do a lot of custom counter tops. With the 8” it means any lumber I have wider than 8” has to be ripped down, with a lot of waste.

I have never progressed to the spiral cutter route, as the straight blades really do everything I need and they seem to last a really long time, before sharpening is needed.

For a counter top, we have to sand anyway, but generally after the jointer and planer, one pass through my drum sander removes any tearout or planer marks.

Not to highjack the thread, but what advantage do those who upgraded to spiral experience?

Spiral cutters have essentially zero tearout. They run quieter, and if you ever manage to knick one (which is many times more difficult to do than with a straight knife) you just rotate it around and you're back in business. The cutters last a very, very long time.

Spiral heads are expensive but require little upkeep and will produce a far superior finish. They're also far more forgiving if cutting across the grain. The shreds of wood will not clog a dust collector like the ribbons a straight knife will generate in those cases do.

Those are mostly positives that apply much more to planer use than jointers, and if I could only have it on a planer or jointer I'd pick the planer every time to have a Spiral head. But they're still nice, and if you do much or any work with particularly hard woods- for me, hickory, ash, occasional ipe or similar rock hard tropical wood- they're worth the price of admission. And I'll be honest with you, I simply HATE setting jointer knives, and I'm bad at it. Carbide spirals remove the problem.

Oh, and I also like that interlocked grain sapele that is so popular, and straight knives do unspeakable things to it.

Tim Sherwood

Tim
Corporate Member
Plywood only cost me one set of knives before NCWW members showed me why it was a bad idea to edge joint it.
If you want to see a good sales video on the spiral cutters , go to Sutmpynubs on utube.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS