Jointer problems

Trey1984

Trey
User
I have a 6 inch delta jointer. I replaced blades recently and while doing so I checked the tables to make sure coplanar to each other. I used metal straight edge (veritas). When I do heavy 16th inch cut seems to do fine. But if I go lower than that it's start to make material wedge shape. Can't figure it out to save my life. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. When set the out feed table I did the Philip Morley trick with running square board couple inches onto the cutter then cut off machine sand raise out feed table to the bottom. Thanks

jfynyson

Jeremy
User
I had a Delta X5 6" jointer a few years ago and I recall after a blade change out I was getting a bad wedge shape and the issue was that the top dead center for the blades were slightly too high. Slightly too low and the board would hit the outfeed table. A jointer as you may know naturally creates a wedge shape but not heavily if tuned correctly. My aim & calibration was to take no more than 1/32" per pass and I was able to dial it in well for that. I also used a jointer buddy (uses magnets to hold the blades in line while tightening...not sure if you're using one of those but in my opinion are a must for straight blade cutters.

I'm not familiar with the "Philip Morley trick" but it doesn't appear to be working here. Maybe try the Garage Woodworks example of jointer calibration using a dial indicator ? Link:

Trey1984

Trey
User
I had a Delta X5 6" jointer a few years ago and I recall after a blade change out I was getting a bad wedge shape and the issue was that the top dead center for the blades were slightly too high. Slightly too low and the board would hit the outfeed table. A jointer as you may know naturally creates a wedge shape but not heavily if tuned correctly. My aim & calibration was to take no more than 1/32" per pass and I was able to dial it in well for that. I also used a jointer buddy (uses magnets to hold the blades in line while tightening...not sure if you're using one of those but in my opinion are a must for straight blade cutters.

I'm not familiar with the "Philip Morley trick" but it doesn't appear to be working here. Maybe try the Garage Woodworks example of jointer calibration using a dial indicator ? Link:
I used dial indicator and 12 inch ruler from my 12 inch square. The jointer buddy is something most definitely going to have to invest in. Thanks

Trey1984

Trey
User
I used dial indicator and 12 inch ruler from my 12 inch square. The jointer buddy is something most definitely going to have to invest in. Thanks
I used those two for setting blades. I'll check top dead center again and check blades again.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
How old is the machine? Check your table co planarity (not sure if thats a word but...) at several depths of cut. There could be something going on with the depth adjustment and infeed table (guide ways maybe).

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
I screwed mine up once after I sharpened the blades. I struggled, but thought I had got it adjusted perfectly, but it wasn’t working right. Went back into it and realized I forgot to use the set screws to adjust the blades. I just used the clamping bar. I was like…no wonder it was so hard to get it right last time. After doing it right it worked like a charm. Talk about a brain fart!🤯

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors