Jointer cutter head replacement

Tim Sherwood

Tim
Corporate Member
I have given in to the temptation of a Shelix cutter head for my old jointer: a 1960's era Rockwell/ delta 37-315. The Byrd replacement arrived in about a week. So today I'm dismantling the old one. I have removed the nut and pulled the shaft from the bearings one one end. The other end is not yielding to my gear puller. Is there a mechanical fastener holding the shaft and bearing together? There is no obvious nut.
IMG_0714.jpg

Tim Sherwood

Tim
Corporate Member
Thank you. Yes that does help.Part JA 57 shows as a "clamping nut". It must be what looks like a collar with a notch.Since it has no hex or flats for a wrench, I guess it's operated using that square notch in the picture. There is a matching notch on the opposite side. I've seen something similar. It looks like you are supposed to tap it with a flat blade screw driver to loosen it. So I tried that both left and right, with no joy. I did find that it's pretty soft metal. I can't see any threads , to tell if it's right or left handed. So I don't want to tap it too hard.

Anyone have an idea about the thread direction? Is there a special wrench for this type of nut?

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
I've got a photo of removing that nut but I can't find it, darn it.
I even made a special spanner for that machine, but a vise grip will work. Its standard RH threads as I remember.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I have a newer Rockwell/delta 8". I installed a Laguna carbide head on it/ the head was about 1/8 wider than the existing knife head. I had to reverse the blocks that retain the head to make it fit correctly.. But, TBH, these machines are really simple and easy to work on and can be modified with little effort. So, I am sure you got this. Congrats !

Last edited:

J_Graham

Graham
Corporate Member
Tim, I would be so grateful if you took some pictures along the way! I have almost the same jointer and have been looking into the upgrade...curious the process though. Thanks.

Tim Sherwood

Tim
Corporate Member
Sure, I'll get a few pictures. Right now I'm still wrestling with that clamping nut, It will not budge. I think I'll have to try heating it with a torch. It's good that I bought new bearings!

Tim Sherwood

Tim
Corporate Member
Partial success! I did get that stubborn nut off, without having to heat it. I remounted the shaft to the jointer, just to get a firm base for the bearing housing housing. Using a screwdriver and a hammer It loosened enough that I could unscrew it with vise grips.

Then I assembled the Shelix and new bearings. When I tried to mount it into the jointer, the knives on each end of the cutter contacted the bearing housings. Also the mounting holes would not line up. They are off by 1/4 inch. It looks like I'll have to disassemble everything. If I can put a 1/8" washer on each end, between the bearing and the shaft seat, it should be ok.

IMG_0718.jpg

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors