Joining up

Status
Not open for further replies.

BumoutBob

New User
Bob
Hi!, This is Bumout Bob in Hendersonville. I've been in NC for a year now and have been following the threads on the site. Thought I had better join and participate. I have a hobby shop and make wood things, turnings, knives, bowels and speaker cabinets as required. Posted some pictures in the gallery for all to see.

nelsone

New User
Ed
Hi Bob! That's quite a gallery you put up. Are you making the blades for the knives? If so, please tell how you go about it!

T

toolferone

Bob, Welcome to the site. I see you have forgone all the requests to put a album up!!:lol: The pics are great, you are doing some really nice work there. I also would like more info on the knife making? From kits or from scratch? How does the sub sound?

BumoutBob

New User
Bob
The easy answer first: The subwoofers sound great. The design I use is a 3.3 cu ft box with a port. It's is 3 dB down at 27 Hz. I use a software program to select the speaker along with the box size and port dia. and length. Once this is done---a hour on a computer----the woodworking fun begins. The boxes themselves are easy using MDF or plywood. Calculating for bracing violumn and then installing it isn't much more. Finishing is harder. There are many designs out there that are painted black or white. I purchased some sheet venier and used that. Speaker design likes rounded corners which makes veniering harder when using large pieces like 36" square. The columns in my picture set are done this way. I never finished the subwoofers because they are not allowed in the living room yet. :BangHead: I'm working on that!!!

Knife blades are a labor of love. The big one with the walnut handle was made out of 01 tool steel which is good steel but will rust. I used bar stock and filed and sanded it to shape. 2" X 24" silicon carbide belts. Heat treating was done with a charcoal grill. 1500 deg F. dunk in motor oil. Toaster oven temper 450 deg.

Stainless steel is more difficult because it uses higher temperatures 1825 deg, and needs 900 to temper. Temp variation is more critical too.

It's much easier to buy a blade. Texas Knifemakers has a 5" Bowie and a dagger that are only $15 ea. Cryo tempered too. These blades are SS 440C (razor blade steel). They sell them as dive knives. I'll finish them some day.

Attachments

• diveknives.jpg
    diveknives.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 172

sapwood

New User
Roger
Glad you joined up Bob! It's especially great to add folks to the site with unique interests and expertise. :icon_thum

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS