Joinery thinking again ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Last time I did this (thinking) I got a splinter, that drew blood... :gar-La;

But lets just think for a moment. Lets say a guy wanted a close to perfect as posibble loose tendon joint. lets say for example it's for attaching a arm to a chair or could be any other place where you want you use a loose fastening method.

Do they make double sided sand paper that's flexible enough where a guy could put a piece in between the two pieces of wood to be joined, apply a little pressure to the joint and pull the sand paper out. I'm thinking that repeating this a few times would create a near perfect matched joint irregardless of the profile. Then install the loose tendon, dowels, screws, biscuits, ... glue and clamp away.

Am I all wet on this one, would it work?

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Works great with regular old 1 sided paper.

You want to pull the paper through favoring the smooth side of the paper so you don't round over the edges.

pete

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I don't do that with my tenons because they are usually loose to begin with.:rotflm: guess it would work though.....

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Works great with regular old 1 sided paper.

You want to pull the paper through favoring the smooth side of the paper so you don't round over the edges.

pete

Hu... Really?... I wonder why I'm recreating the wheel, what other tricks do members got under their hats, cough em up guys.

Thanks

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Jeff, I think abranet would work like you want if you don't want to fold over the sandpaper. I like Pete's idea better, tho.

Me, I just crush 'em 'til they match with heavy clamps or a BIG mallet. Don't work too good if the tenon is too long though. Guess that's why my stuff looks like one of Fred's boxes Before the magic tape!!:gar-La;

In case you don't remember:

Before:[url=http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/1186/box13.JPG][/URL]

and after:
I GOTTA get me some of that tape!!

Go

lottathought

New User
Michael
If you are asking what I think you are asking, Rick Doby showed me a nice little trick.
Put the joint together and then use one of those little Japanese saws to gently saw between the joint.
It will make the joint a perfect fit.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
If you are asking what I think you are asking, Rick Doby showed me a nice little trick.
Put the joint together and then use one of those little Japanese saws to gently saw between the joint.
It will make the joint a perfect fit.

I usually do that AFTER I mess up, that's why I like loose tendons so much :wink_smil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS