Joinery Help

DRC

Danny
Senior User
I have this small table I am going to try to build, but it doesn't have to be an exact duplicate. The lower shelf is attached with screws. I would like to do a different method for the lower shelf. i was thinking maybe slot the legs horizontally but that might make the finished product too week. I am pretty much a novice so any idea is welcome. i am planning on building a mock up from scrap and then try a finished product in cherry. This is not anything I'm selling, just trying to build skills.

Attachments

• IMG_4056.jpeg
    IMG_4056.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 55
  • IMG_4057.jpeg
    IMG_4057.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 53

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
Pocket holes underneath, dowels. I don't think you'll have to worry about slots being weak as you don't have to go far in and I think that would be the best from an aesthetic point of view. If concerned, you could also ad a dowel. You could also do a dovetail but it may be weak on the corners - Ok when assembled but touchy when cutting and may have to assembling the whole table would be a nightmare.

Danny:

Not sure if I would call it "joinery", but you might consider putting a threaded insert into the leg at the point where the shelf would meet the leg, and on the bottom of the shelf rout out a recess to accommodate a countertop "tite-joint" fastener, essentially a 1/4-20 bolt, with a 1/2" x 3/4" metal bar that has a hole in it. It will pull up very tight. You could put the shelf in after the assembly of the table, and it will be at least as strong as any joinery that does not cut a dado, or something like it, into the leg.

If you are not going to stand on that shelf, it should be sufficient to hold whatever one might put on the shelf. Sometimes woodworking is less about joinery and more about proper fastening. Unless, of course, one is a woodworking purist, at which point you might consider a sliding dovetail. Nightmare assembly, as noted above.

Perhaps when cutting the legs, you might create a ledge where the shelf will be, making the leg slightly thicker/deeper under the shelf. This would help curtail the larger failure point of any joinery, which would be downward pressure on the shelf, and not weaken the leg by cutting a notch in it.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Tone

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS