Jim Wallace

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Wallace

jimwallacewoodturning.com
Jim
Corporate Member
I thought I had introduced myself some time ago, apparently not. I live on a small farm which my wife, Nancy, and I share with my brother's family in northern Wake County, about half way between Wake Forest and Creedmoor. I started wood working 40 years ago this year. I moved here about 36 years ago. My main focus as a wood worker has been turning, although I've also built my own timber frame house and done furniture and cabinet work. Along with my brother, Bill, I've taught wood turning at Alamance Community College for over 25 years and at the Crafts Center at NCSU for over 20 years. I currently sell my work at the Little Art Gallery in Cameron Village in Raleigh and at the NC Museum of History Gift Shop. I also participate in the Wake Forest Farmers' Market most Saturdays. I've enjoyed being a member of NCWoodworker for some time now.

Jim Wallace

Jim
Corporate Member
Hey, I even got a picture posted as an avatar! This picture was taken at an event we call "turning of the seasons" at the Wake Forest Farmers' Market. Close to the equinox or solstice our yarn maker, Joy Thomas, brings her spinning wheel, our potter, Nancy Redman, brings her potter's wheel, and I bring a small lathe.

I guess you can tell by the fact that I'm bragging about getting a picture posted after being a member for a couple of years that I'm not too tech savvy.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Jim, Thank You. Your post reminded me I need to contact your brother Bill and get some help on a red burl chunk at one of his Thursday sessions.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Nice pic Jim---------I like the shirt you are wearing ------have you been teaching at the folk school also? I taught a table making class there for about 7 or 8 years. Good place to spend time.

Jerry

Jim Wallace

Jim
Corporate Member
Jerry,

I haven't taught at John C Campbell, but have visited several times. My wife knows the director, Jan Davidson. Jan brought Nancy this shirt. Fortunately, it was a large so you can see who ultimately got it. You're right: it's a beautiful place.

Jim

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
You are practically a neighbor! Would love to see you turning in action. Maybe I'll get to the WF farmers market.

Jim Wallace

Jim
Corporate Member
Doug,

You'd be welcome any time. I only take my lathe when we schedule these events to help attract new customers to the market. I'll try to post the next one on this site. We are now in winter hours which means 1st and 3rd Saturdays from 10 to noon. In April we return to every Saturday 8 to noon. The market is located in downtown Wake Forest in the parking lot near the intersection of S. White St. and business 98. Even though I don't take a lathe most Saturdays I do take a variety of turnings and I love to visit. If you are coming just to see me please email or call (919-616-5248) to make sure I'll be there since I do take some Saturdays off.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors