Jig saw recommendation

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
I had to break out my much-despised DeWalt corded jig saw today that I haven't used in ages and was reminded about everything I hate about it. The mechanism that locks the foot plate to a certain cutting angle loosens up over time and when you cut through a curve it starts to tilt.

Do you have a particular jig saw you really like? I'm leaning toward the Bosch JS470EB ($139) based on reviews I've read, but I thought I'd see if anyone here has one you particularly like.

Thanks.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
I bought my Bosh YEARS ago. Threw the Dewalt in the trash. The Bosh is still perfect and has no issues. I also had the option for the ”D” type handle. My hands are small, the barrel type will not work for me.

bphaynes

Parker
Corporate Member
Martin, I just got that Bosch jigsaw about a month ago. Reconditioned from CPO so I think it was $100. It's been great. No problems, much better than the HF one I had. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles that the next model up has, but it cuts wood and does its job. I also like the big, hard case that came with it.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
+1 I have a 1581 and it still is the best one I have. I also have a Dewalt cordless I use for small and quick misc things. But, for real jigsaw cutting the Bosch is still the best.
Also agree do not buy cheap blades you will not like the experience, get the Bosch, the others do not work as well.

Get a second hand Bosch 1581 if you can. Use top of the line Bosch blades and no other for best performance.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Really liked my Makita 18V, that is until I noticed it did not oscillate and took it to the repair shop. 3 months waiting on a part. I keep needing it. I figure the best way to get the part in is to buy the newer brushless version. I am sure mine would be fixed within days.

I had a Bosch barrel corded one. It worked fine, but having the cordless just sitting there, I grab it easier. I have about 20 different Bosch blades. I have not cut any 1/2 steel plate with it as I did with my old Bosch, but I am sure it will do fine. I have big paws so the barrel was nice.

I went Makita 18V "system" largely due to the reviews of the jigsaw and 6 1/2 inch circ. I picked Makita to reduce the number of battery systems. I had 8 and now have 3.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
Another vote for Bosch. My hands are extra large so I like the barrel version. I use mine to cut metal and wood and it does great.

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'll throw in another vote for the Bosch. I picked up a used one several years ago. After using it a couple of times I got rid of my other one. Only complaint I have is it's a bit of a pain changing the blades. They insert and turn. I don't use it enough to remember the "trick" each time I replace a blade and always have to work it out again.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Not much advice from me on new tools - at least not new ones comparable to one the Bosch you were considering. I have three (or 4) I guess - but can't speak to new corded units as my corded ones are old used ones that will likely outlast me. I would at least research cordless tools if you already have a battery system in use.
Two older used corded Bosch units, one handled and one barrel. The barrel in my shop and gets frequent use, the other is in my work van for off site work. The handled one has the pain in the neck buried screw needed to change blades - but other than that these are great saws. I am adjusting to the barrel, but would still choose the handle with my not-so-large hands. Both are dependable powerful saws. I'd love to have a shield that keeps chips from flying up into my face - an issue with (most) jigsaws b/c of up-cutting stroke.

I also have a cordless Ryobi in the work van that has proven itself capable in carpentry type work... got it in a package deal and quite like it. Reach for that first b/c of convenience.

If you already have a battery system that you use there, then do consider the cordless version of a jigsaw. I love the covenience, but only b/c I have already multiple chargers and batteries in my system. Others may differ, but the if the cordless Ryobi meets my expectations, then it had to believe that bigger' name brands aren't decent enough; though one poster above seemed to consider the DeWalt sub-par (corded?).

4th jigsaw is one I have not used (yet) - a Ridgid jigsaw head attachment to a cordless power unit (they call the system jobMaxx or something). Will likely become my shop cordless jigsaw. (Note that in that JobMaxx series of interchangeable head tools, the Ryobi and Ridgid heads and bases are interchangeable - Ridgid fits on Ryobi, and Ryobi fits on Ridgid. Direct Tools retail employee showed me this.)

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I own three of the Bosch 1587's. Son owns top of the line DeWalt. When he needs a jig saw, he borrows one of my Bosches. Nuf said?

BKHam

Bradley
User
I have a dewalt cordless and the best thing about it is that its cordless. I don't have a chopsaw so i use it for breaking down rough lumber. get one that is cordless!!!!! you can go anywere.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
I have a very old Bosch - the model where you insert a screwdriver down the front to tighten the collar.

I don't have that problem with my DeWalt, but its a much better saw.

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
It appears that the consensus is that Bosch is the way to go!

A few folks mentioned the older Bosch 1581. I looked around and the only ones I could find were on eBay and looked like they had been beaten with hammers. I don't have time to wait for a nice one to come up. I have a project I need to get on with so I'll go with a new one.

Two older used corded Bosch units, one handled and one barrel. The barrel in my shop and gets frequent use, the other is in my work van for off site work. I am adjusting to the barrel, but would still choose the handle with my not-so-large hands.

Hmmnnn. I too have small hands and a reviewer on YT also mentioned that he was more comfortable with the handled grip. Bosch makes a D-handle version of the same saw I mentioned in the first post.

1635949135029.png
1635950860087.png

I'm going with the D-handle. I like that the trigger is part of the grip. The barrel-grip model has to be turned on then regripped to start cutting. The former seems more natural.

Thanks to everyone who took time to respond.

hoodoo

Roger
Senior User
It appears that the consensus is that Bosch is the way to go!

A few folks mentioned the older Bosch 1581. I looked around and the only ones I could find were on eBay and looked like they had been beaten with hammers. I don't have time to wait for a nice one to come up. I have a project I need to get on with so I'll go with a new one.

Hmmnnn. I too have small hands and a reviewer on YT also mentioned that he was more comfortable with the handled grip. Bosch makes a D-handle version of the same saw I mentioned in the first post.

View attachment 205684View attachment 205685

I'm going with the D-handle. I like that the trigger is part of the grip. The barrel-grip model has to be turned on then regripped to start cutting. The former seems more natural.

Thanks to everyone who took time to respond.

I'd love to hear some feedback once you've had some time with it. I am in the market for one as well.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Use the zero clearance insert and the Bosch Xtra clean wood blades. With my 1591 I can get close to bandsaw level smooth cuts.

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
You've gotta love free enterprise. I ordered the saw Tuesday night and got it today at 4:00 pm.

The DeWalt is going to Goodwill.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS