Jewelry box

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
A couple of months ago, one of the directors of the Arts Council of Carteret County asked me if I was going to have something in this year's Art From the Heart Show, their annual juried show. At the time, I was in the middle of making the pieces for my exhibition in Asheville, and I told him that I doubted it, but if I could, I would make something. When I finished the last piece for Asheville, the dining table that I posted on last week, a couple of weeks early, I decided to do something for the Arts Council show.

I came up with a design for a jewelry box that turned out pretty well I think. The box is curly maple, and the secondary wood is padauk. The inlay in the top is a design taken from a piece of furniture that was excavated from the Midas tomb in Turkey. I did the inlay with a CNC machine and colored epoxy. The tray that elevates when the lid is raised took a little fooling around and planning to get it to work properly, but it works very well. I got the box done just in time to enter yesterday, the last day for entries. I think the finish was still drying when I drove it over there!!:elvis:

Matt

P1070046.JPG

P1070048.JPG

P1070045.JPG

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Outstanding Matt! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap I love the design, the contrasting woods, and the symbol on top is second to none. Excellent work. Man, we've had some serious projects posted today! :notworthy:

Trent

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Stunning! The inlay work is beautiful. What type of CNC are you using? Is it a spindle type? or laser?

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
Thanks, everyone, for the generous comments.

Bob - I have a 48" x 48" ShopBot with a 4 HP spindle. I use V-Carve Pro CAD/CAM software for most of my design and toolpathing. In this instance, the inlay recess was cut with a 60 degree V bit, then the colored epoxy poured into the recess, allowed to harden, planed, scraped, and sanded flush.

Matt

fergy

New User
Fergy
Hmmm, Matt....ever run the shopbot for other people? I've got a file that I did up a few years back when I was working in a shop with a shopbot that I'd love to run again. I'd have to see if I still have the G-code file floating around, or if it's just the TIFF that needs converting again.

If you're willing, I'll PM you the details and let you work up a quote for me. If not, I totally understand.

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Thanks, everyone, for the generous comments.

Bob - I have a 48" x 48" ShopBot with a 4 HP spindle. I use V-Carve Pro CAD/CAM software for most of my design and toolpathing. In this instance, the inlay recess was cut with a 60 degree V bit, then the colored epoxy poured into the recess, allowed to harden, planed, scraped, and sanded flush.

Matt

A kid want's me to make him a Backgammon board game, and I have never done inlays, could one put the colored epoxy in for the triangles? Just wondering?

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Matt,

How did I miss this thread? What an outstanding jewelry box. The contrasting woods are so tasteful and beautifully finished. Of course, I love the inlay because it reminds me of a harpsichord rose. Just outstanding... as usual.
Can't wait to see your next work of art.

Ernie

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
Thanks much, Ernie. I never thought of that medallion as a "rose," but you're right, it could be used for that purpose. The piece of furniture that this came from is simply amazing, hand carved ca. 800 BC, and this is only a small part of it. I wish I had a photo to post of the whole thing.

Matt

bwat

New User
Bill
Most impressive. You make it sound as if you just whipped up this little project last minute. Outstanding talent and quality. Hope I can get to the skill level to make something like this some day - but it would take me 6 months! Shiny.:icon_thum

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
Matthew,

I'm sorry, I overlooked your question when I was reviewing the thread. Yes, you could certainly use epoxy or even fiberglass resin for that matter. Years ago, I did a backgammon table using veneer.

PM sent.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS