Jewelry Box Hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.

SGalley

New User
Scott W. Galley
Does anyone know where I can order velvet and ring holder foam for jewelry boxes? I also need small brass hinges. The mortise for one end of the hinge wll be 3/8" wide.

Thanks,
Scott

Dragon

New User
David
You got a Hobby Lobby, Michaels, etc. near you? Any decent sized crafts shop should carry what you need. May have to do creative taper on some dowels to get the form for the ring holders though.

SGalley

New User
Scott W. Galley
When you measure the hinge is it the width open or the width of one of the plates?

nelsone

New User
Ed
I have seen others use foam and cut slits for the rings and then cover with felt. I haven't tried it so I can't be much more help. Brusso makes some very nice hinges, but the price reflects it. I would definitely not recommend Lowes or HD hardware. Woodcraft carries some pretty nice hardware.

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
Scott,

For a small, simple hinge Horton Brasses' #PB-405 is simply impossible to beat as far as quality and value. It only comes in one size, 1" x 1 1/4", so I don't know if it will suit your needs or not. This is the only hinge other than a Brusso that I will use on the jewelry boxes and furniture that I build. It is solid brass, machined, and at $5.00 per pair, the value is incredible. Don't even think of buying a plated, stamped hinge like those available at the big box stores. Horton Brasses is an American, family owned company, and they manufacture all of their own hardware at their facility in Connecticut. They are truly a pleasure to deal with in every way, and you will not be disappointed. (I have no relationship with them in any way other than as a very satisfied customer.)

As far as the ring holders are concerned, I make my own using foam weatherstripping tape and Ultrasuede. Usually I use the closed cell foam tape that is 3/4" wide by 1/2" high that you can find in the weatherstripping section at any hardware store. You can usually find smaller pieces of Ultrasuede on eBay , or if you have a good fabric store in the area, they will have it or a similar product. It is essentially a microfiber cloth that is made to look and feel like suede. Most people cannot tell the difference in fact. IMHO, the Ultrasuede is much classier than the velvet, and adds a truly custom touch. I have gone through a lot of trial and error over the past few years to come up with a method to do this, and have thought about posting a tutorial, but just haven't gotten around to it.

Hope this helps.

Matt

SGalley

New User
Scott W. Galley
Scott,

For a small, simple hinge Horton Brasses' #PB-405 is simply impossible to beat as far as quality and value. It only comes in one size, 1" x 1 1/4", so I don't know if it will suit your needs or not. This is the only hinge other than a Brusso that I will use on the jewelry boxes and furniture that I build. It is solid brass, machined, and at $5.00 per pair, the value is incredible. Don't even think of buying a plated, stamped hinge like those available at the big box stores. Horton Brasses is an American, family owned company, and they manufacture all of their own hardware at their facility in Connecticut. They are truly a pleasure to deal with in every way, and you will not be disappointed. (I have no relationship with them in any way other than as a very satisfied customer.)

As far as the ring holders are concerned, I make my own using foam weatherstripping tape and Ultrasuede. Usually I use the closed cell foam tape that is 3/4" wide by 1/2" high that you can find in the weatherstripping section at any hardware store. You can usually find smaller pieces of Ultrasuede on eBay , or if you have a good fabric store in the area, they will have it or a similar product. It is essentially a microfiber cloth that is made to look and feel like suede. Most people cannot tell the difference in fact. IMHO, the Ultrasuede is much classier than the velvet, and adds a truly custom touch. I have gone through a lot of trial and error over the past few years to come up with a method to do this, and have thought about posting a tutorial, but just haven't gotten around to it.

Hope this helps.

Matt

Matt, Like your weather stripping idea and will use it. I went to a cloth store and all they had was cheap suede, but the lady that worked there told me to go to the Goodwill store and find a jacket and cut it up. I found a long light brown suede coat that I picked up for $8.00. Will the real suede hold up? I also went with the Brusso hinges (expensive) because I figured these things will be passed down to daughters so I'm going all out. made one mistake on the inside of one top and cut a dado 3/8" off and now I have a 6/8" dado. the front will be trimmed out but do you guys think i should rip a 6'8" and glue it in and do another dado or rip maybe a 4/8" and trim it after glueing? So much for measuring twice:gar-Cr About 200+ pieces in all four and I'm running out of time. I still have to get mirrors and glass cut and we're leaving for NJ next Monday. may have to put finish on them up north.

SGalley

New User
Scott W. Galley
Correction.....just looked at the plans 308 pieces plus glass, mirrors, suede, and hardware. :icon_scra

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
I would fill the entire dado with a piece ripped to size, and grain matched as carefully as you can. Then cut the new dado, presumably in the correct location. :wink_smil This is easier than trying to adjust a filler strip to leave the correct width dado, at least IMHO. Done correctly, I doubt that anyone but you will ever notice it.

Glad you liked the idea for the ring holders. I can't argue with the choice of the Brusso hinges. They are certainly the Cadillac of small box hinges, and if you want a stopped hinge, they are the only option. I've used Brusso for years, and have never been disappointed. Sounds to me like you're taking the right approach to heirloom quality work. Take some pictures before you send them on their way. We would love to see them.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS