Issue with website and Apple OS X?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deeptree

New User
William
All;

I have been having an issue with posting in the forums since I started, and finally narrowed it down to what appears to be the number of animated icons in the message box of a forum post, and Apple OS X / Firefox / Safari. This is a 2010 Macbook Pro, Intel i7, 8GB RAM, SSD drive...beefy little box...

Everytime that I start writing a post in a forum when I am on my Mac, my CPU jumps to about 50% (from idle of 2-4%) and stays there the entire time I am on the page. When I go and look at the processes, it is always either Firefox browser or Safari browser, depending on which I am using. As soon as I quit posting, the cpu immediately goes down to 2-4%. In addition, when I am viewing posts, this doesn't happen. When I use one of my PC's I never have this issue. Anyone else having this issue?

MAC_OSX_CPU_Firefox.jpg

View image in gallery

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
I'm not sure if I would call it an issue, just sort of reality. I get the same sort of numbers that you are getting. If I just scroll the smilies off of the screen, the number goes down. While the number is disconcerting, I don't think it really is causing much of a problem. The thread that does this seems to have pretty low priority. Now if you only have one core, then there might be more of an impact.

Can you pinpoint a perfomance issue with the rest of the system when this is happening?

If it is a problem for you or others, not the number, but the performance then we can look at shortening the list ot switching to non-animated smiles.
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.7; rv:8.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/8.0.1

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
My quad core Intel running 10.5.8 shows 97% idle CPU in the post dialog with all smilies showing.
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_5_8) AppleWebKit/534.50.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.6 Safari/533.22.3

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
I was using 10.7.2 on dual quad core xeons and 24GB of memory with FireFox 8. This reply is being done on the latest Safari, Safari is showing 2 processes Safari and Safari Web content. Those two processes are totaling about 15%. I think I'll try Chrome next
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_7_2) AppleWebKit/534.52.7 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1.2 Safari/534.52.7

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
With Chrome, I getting about the same as Safari. I think it is safe to say that Firefox is the culprit. But in any case rendering all those animated gifs is pretty cpu intensive.:swoon:

Thanks Mike for chiming in.

Though I guess I would like to a performance problem trace to the Gifs befoe we take any major action.
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_7_2) AppleWebKit/535.7 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/16.0.912.63 Safari/535.7

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
I hadn't noticed anything out of the ordinary on my Macbook pro 2 Core duo running 10.7.2.
I'm currently in Firefox and its using anywhere from 70-95% with the smiley's dancing. If I scroll them off th bottom of the screen this drops to 15-20%.

No noticeable performance hit, but the fan does spin up after a while.
I think I never noticed because with a relatively small screen I usually don't have the smiley's exposed.
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.7; rv:8.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/8.0.1

Deeptree

New User
William
I'm not sure if I would call it an issue, just sort of reality. I get the same sort of numbers that you are getting. If I just scroll the smilies off of the screen, the number goes down. While the number is disconcerting, I don't think it really is causing much of a problem. The thread that does this seems to have pretty low priority. Now if you only have one core, then there might be more of an impact.

Can you pinpoint a perfomance issue with the rest of the system when this is happening?

If it is a problem for you or others, not the number, but the performance then we can look at shortening the list ot switching to non-animated smiles.

Well, the issue is, that I have 4 cores (it's a quad-core i7 2.8GHz). In addition, the graphics card that is in this laptop is a workstation type card with 1GB of video RAM...so it is a bit disconcerting. Also the fact that it doesn't happen on Windows based machines. Why it is impacting me, is because the laptop heats up really quick and the fans kick on, killing my battery just for typing text.

My workaround will be to type my text into another program, then just copy/paste into the forum window.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:8.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/8.0

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Well, the issue is, that I have 4 cores (it's a quad-core i7 2.8GHz). In addition, the graphics card that is in this laptop is a workstation type card with 1GB of video RAM...so it is a bit disconcerting. Also the fact that it doesn't happen on Windows based machines. Why it is impacting me, is because the laptop heats up really quick and the fans kick on, killing my battery just for typing text.

My workaround will be to type my text into another program, then just copy/paste into the forum window.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:8.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/8.0
If you took offense to my reply, I really apologize. That was not my intention.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS