Is this wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ck1999

Chris
User
0715140644a.jpg

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showphoto.php?photo=74725

I worked last night on a sweet gum bowl. After applying the sanding sealer and sanding off I noticed these grey marks. Is this something in the sanding sealer that cause this or in the wood itself? Should I resand or leave it be. Is it fungus or bacteria?

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
yes Chris, that is spalting or a mold or fungus in the wood - in many cases highly desirable (some people who pay for turning blanks pay more for those!)

If you didn't notice it before the (as Chris mentions) the sanding sealer may have brought it out or simply highlighted it.

nice turning!

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Is it complete or are you planning to turn more, final sand and finish it?
How dry was it when you started turning it?

If Green, I would try a microwave drying (just Google Microwave drying turning blanks) and make sure your better half is not around :)

Or set-it aside for a while - it will probably warp if still wet... you may need to true it up after that...

If dry, or somewhat dry (its been sitting inside the shop / garage for six months or more) I would just keep on the path you are on... and finish it up (with a new story to tell when someone asks about it)

Also, wait for some of the other turners to chime in too!

ck1999

Chris
User
I was done with it. It was cut last year. It "felt" dry and light. Also when turning it never felt damp or cooler. So I decided to finish it. I have applied sanding sealer and 2 coats of spray lacquer. It may distort some but I do not think much. I could be wrong. I turned another piece from the same tree when wet but used the alcohol method so if there was any fungus on that one it would of been killed in the alcohol (I use ipa)

Chris

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I think you are fine - there may be other opinions.

regardless - it looks cool!

ck1999

Chris
User

Turned easily. I mostly use carbide inserts to turn. Had a lot of tearout not sure if this was because of the Spalting or being over aggressive.

Here is another from same tree turned green and then alcohol dried and finished. Not sure if sweet gum always has this discloration. A friend cut a tree,down and I got a few pieces of it. These are the only two I. Have done in sweet gum. But really like how they both turned out.

Unfortunately this is the last piece I have. I have two small peices , I was thinking of a mallet , for one.

Chris

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
The wood was most likely still wet. It takes 1 year per inch thickness to dry completely. Sweet gum tends to turn grey. I generally turn green and every piece of sweet gum turned green begins to turn grey within minutes after taking off the lathe and the final product is grey. I have seen the same behavior with holly and magnolia. Holly and magnolia generally look nice with the grey. Sweet gum is hit or miss some are not attractive others look fine. My thoughts are the wood is free,only time involved so if I turn green and a piece cracks,dis colors etc upon drying and I am not satisfied I cut the losses and it becomes firewood. Generally a green turning less than 12inch diameter takes about 30 minutes from log to blank so there is not a lot of investment

I find it amazing how well sweet gum turns based on experience splitting it for firewood.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Sweet Gum is notoriously unstable especially when heart and sap wood are contained in the same piece of wood. Commercially, Sweet Gum is sold as either heart or sap and rarely ever mixed in the same board for this reason.

What was the moisture content reading before you worked it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS