Is This Bandsaw Any Good ? 14" Porter Cable At Lowes

Status
Not open for further replies.

batk30msu

New User
brent
I think it would do what you want with an upgraded blade, likely would have a very slow resaw feed rate.

Something to think about if you are going this route . . . you are not too far from the myrtle beach outlets, the direct tool outlet usually has the ridgid 14" and when they run a sale you can get it for around 200 bucks I think. They are probably made in the same chinese factory as the PC, just a thought to save some cash.

batk30msu

New User
brent
They have a facebook page i think. Direct tool is the name. They are sort of lik harbor freight in that each weekend there is some sort of sale.

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
I know someone who has that and they like it, but it's underpowered and dust collection is non-existent. He's upgrading to a 14" grizzly. When I resawed on it I think it was 3 1/2" board and it was ridiculously slow and needed alot of clean-up. I too, looked at this, but I am holding out for a grizzly or a good used PM, Laguna or any of the old goodies. There is no substitute for HP and hardiness of tool. But if you get this I'm sure it will do what you need it to. Just my 2 cents.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
I can not access the link right now (site is down)...

However, most of these cheaper 14" bandsaws -- typically traditional C-Frame styles -- have a 6" resaw limit (which also translates to less-than 6" blank widths/heights) without an optional riser block (if the model actually supports a riser block, some do not) and typically ship with 3/4 HP (120V) motors. As Zach suggests, they tend to be underpowered for sawing wide/thick boards, especially hard woods -- though they can often be coaxed into doing so, albeit it slowly -- the same would be true of sawing irregular curved shapes in thick wood, especially with harder woods (though the narrower blades used in irregular curved sawing will help to offset the limited HP in the same way thin-kerf blades help underpowered tablesaws).

They also tend to max out at a 1/2" blade (though many may claim 3/4", don't try it as the added tension often damages 14" C-frame models permanently), which is not usually an issue when asked to cut irregular shapes where you are often running with a 1/8" to 1/4" blade, but it is an issue when it comes to resawing -- if you intend to use the saw for resawing as well. In general, you will want to stay at least one (and possibly two) full blade width(s) below their rated capacity when choosing a resaw blade (i.e. 1/2" for a model rated 3/4" and 3/8" for a model rated 1/2").

As for whether such a saw will meet your needs, only you can make that determination. If these limitations will not impact your intended use, then it may well be an acceptable saw for your application. The parameters that I suspect will be most restrictive to your application are the limited HP for thicker or harder material (anything approaching the 6" limit, especially if using hardwoods) and the minimal resaw capacity of 6", which means that your chucked blank can be no more than 6" in depth -- including the portion secured in your chuck.

If you think you will be needing to use your bandsaw for resawing boards -- now or in the future -- as well as making rough bowl blanks, or if you need more than the basic 6" capacity and/or a more powerful motor, then something like the Rikon 10-325 Bandsaw, or a comparable alternative with an 11-13" resaw capacity and a 1-1/2 to 3HP motor may be more to your liking, but will cost considerably more unless you luck out on Craigslist or our own Classifieds. You may also wish to lookout for an older 14" bandsaw already equipped with a 6" riser block (12" typical capacity) and a minimum 1HP motor (though 1-1/2HP would be more preferable for thicker and/or harder material). Note: A 1-1/2HP motor is about the most powerful you will be able to go if you do not have access to 240V receptacles.

FWIW, I have the Rikon 10-345, a much heavier bandsaw meant primarily for resawing, and have found it to be a very good bandsaw (especially for the cost conscious). However, it would not be my first choice if my primary interest were sawing irregular curved shapes (that is the Rikon 10-325's specialty), though it can do so (but with a minimum blade width of 1/4" versus the 10-325's 1/8" minimum blade width).

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
Just an FYI if you are not already aware, I noticed that we have a comparable bandsaw for sale in our Classifieds currently if it is of any interest.

I also had a chance to look at the actual specs for the PC bandsaw (I had to search lowes directly, the link never did work). For comparison purposes, their 10A motor is essentially a 1HP motor (not the claimed 1.5HP motor, that's a bit inflated).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS