Is Magnolia wood workable for furniture?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
A friend mentioned tonight that he has been air drying some fairly large magnolia boards for about 3 years now. Is the wood useful at all? How does it work?

bobby g

JRD

New User
Jim
I would assume so.

Several years ago I used Magnolia in several turnings and for a few pens as well. It's seems to be reasonably strong, the grain is not really outstanding.

Jim

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Bob, you bet it's usable! Don Patterson (Tuchwood) just made a magnolia table for the Nature Research Center from their magnolia. I have some 20 inch wide magnolia boards in the shop that Don and I are about to use to make a separate piece for the museum too.

It would be best to sterilize the boards though before using them.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
OK, that's got me curious :icon_scra... why would you have to 'sterilize' magnolia and not other woods?

Marvin, all woods that have been kiln dried are sterilized at the end of the drying cycle.

Although it is possible to safely air dry many species, some woods - such as magnolia - are a little more susceptible to hosting powder post beetles or other unwanted pests, and it's best to err on the side of caution when obtaining air-dried versions of these woods.

Many woodworkers will purchase air dried wood and then sterilize it themselves in their shop. FWW had an article about a year ago about how to build a simple home sterilization chamber.

William Roscoe

New User
William
Marvin, all woods that have been kiln dried are sterilized at the end of the drying cycle.

Although it is possible to safely air dry many species, some woods - such as magnolia - are a little more susceptible to hosting powder post beetles or other unwanted pests, and it's best to err on the side of caution when obtaining air-dried versions of these woods.

Many woodworkers will purchase air dried wood and then sterilize it themselves in their shop. FWW had an article about a year ago about how to build a simple home sterilization chamber.
I use a solar kiln so I don't have a way to get the temp up any more than about 140 to 150 degrees. Do you think that's enough to kill those powder post beatles??

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
I use a solar kiln so I don't have a way to get the temp up any more than about 140 to 150 degrees. Do you think that's enough to kill those powder post beatles??

William, you should be fine. USDA recommends heating the lumber to a minimum of 133F for 30 minutes for sterilization (measured at the core of the lumber), and in the summer time a solar kiln definitely exceeds this spec.

William Roscoe

New User
William
Thanks Scott. Sometimes a few of those critters will find their way into a load and I sure don't want to burn lumber at that stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS