Is it OK to cut particle board with laminate on my table saw?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vbgregg

New User
Gregg
Hi,

I have a scrap piece of countertop that I got years ago at Home Depot. It appears to be 1" particle board (not MDF) with laminate on both top and bottom. I wanted to trim 2 sides of it. I'm assuming this will not be great for my table saw blade. Will it ruin it pretty quickly, or is it OK for 2 quick cuts (one is 48" and one is 24")? If I do use the table saw, I guess I should probably just put an old blade on for these 2 cuts, right? I just thought I'd ask here first. Thanks,

Gregg

P.S. Should I seal the edges with something? What's best?

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
Gregg,
If you use a carbide blade you shouldn't have any problem at all. Your main concern is the laminate, the press-board is not hard to cut at all. I'm sure there will be a lot of replies that are more in depth than mine. Have a blessed day friend.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
for better results, you may want to first score the cut line with a sharp utility knife. I wouldn't worry about changing blades

M

McRabbet

Aside from scoring, I would cover the cut line with masking tape to help protect the laminate from chipping. I've done it several times with good results on laminated counter tops and with melamine coated particle board.

Rob

T

toolferone

Hi,

P.S. Should I seal the edges with something? What's best?

I agree with the others, no problem using a good blade. I would seal the ends to help stop moisture form getting in a expanding the particle board.

J

jeff...

I have to agree with the others, score the laminate with a razor knife, cut straight and steady it should turn out ok.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
glue size. a mixture of good old carpenter's glue and water, brush it on, let it set up, then maybe some more, to fill any gaps. should do the trick

T

toolferone

Hi Tom,

What should I use to seal the edges? Thanks,

Gregg

Are the edges going to be visable? Any finish you want will work fine. Some folks will put a piece of laminate on the edge of ends that can be seen.

Dusty Sawyer

New User
David
I've done this with success several times. What seems to work the very best is to run the piece laminate side down at a depth just deep enough to ALMOST go through the laminate. Then finish the cut from the other side. It's an added step and depending upon how many cuts you have to make, you may curse my advice. But it does take make sure you have no tear-out on the laminate.

Good luck,

David

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
No problem cutting the countertop..in fact you want to use a really sharp blade to avoid blowout in the laminate, or you can follow the other strategies described in the thread.

I have had excellent success trimming laminated countertops using a regular (but sharp) high-angle ATB blade.

-Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS