Iroquois Spoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Dunn

New User
Tom Dunn
Kinda cheesy posting pics of a strangers work, I know, but I came across this, and I was struck by it, frankly.

spoon1.jpg

spoon2.jpg

It was posted on a traditional muzzleloader forum,and is described only as an "Iroquois style" spoon.:icon_scra

I have asked for a little background on it and similar "spoons" on that forum, we'll see what they have to offer me for info.

Carved from birch burl is all I know, and the carver lives in Finland, the Land of Nice Birch Burls, and very few Indians.

Whatcha think?

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Pretty wood Would have made a lot of nice pens. As far as a useful spoon :dontknow:

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
Does it have something to do with muzzleloading equipment like measuring/pouring powder or is it like their version of a kitchen spoon? :dontknow:

Kinda reminds me of a fancy laddle.

Tom Dunn

New User
Tom Dunn

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I don't believe it is historically correct. More likely the fusion of Finish spoon making and wishful thinking with a nod toward the glorious culture of the Wild West. And yes, I know the Iroquois were in the North East.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
IroquoisLadle.jpg

Your example as well as all the other Iroquois examples I have seen have a lower angled handle. The Finns like the high angle, almost 90° to the bowl of the spoon. That's why i say the one Tom posted does not seem to be historically correct.

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
That's why i say the one Tom posted does not seem to be historically correct.

10-4 You won't get any fight outta me on that one.:no: Was just suggesting ladle rather than "spoon." A hybrid it may be, but very nice wood either way.

Tom Dunn

New User
Tom Dunn
Pure, 100% conjecture on my part:
It's called a spoon because, despite the handle, it's an INDIVIDUALS item.
Likely most grub that required it's use was cooked in a "communal pot" where each person would "dip" themselves some of whatever, and eat it directly from the "spoon" and the handle angle helped facilitate "getting down in there", as "the good stuff" is always on the bottom. I suspect "double dipping" in those days was perfectly acceptable!
If a similar item was used to put food in individual serving bowls, it would be a ladle in the traditional sense.

[BANANA]Or, I'm 100% wrong on it altogether![/BANANA]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS