Interesting YT post

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Hmmm.
A perfectly square and smooth cut on two 10" wide pieces of wood in 10 seconds or a roughly cut, likely out of square cut in 5 seconds and very likely that cut will have to be smoothed up with a hand plane. I think that kid should have thought things through and chosen a different subject for his video. His work appears to be too high of a quality to risk having his credibility in question.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
??? It is not my intent to be argumentative, but this doesn't appear to be an apples-to-apples comparison. The power saw appears to be cutting an 8/4 board while the handsaw appears to be cutting a 3/4 board. Irrespective of what seems to be a difference, I have always admired those craftsmen that are skilled with all manner of hand tools. I suspect their dedication to hand tools is due, in part, to the fact that they can achieve greater precision by hand than with power.

J_Graham

Graham
Corporate Member
If I'm not mistaken I watched the full version of this video and this part is just a sarcastic bit? He often jokes in his videos about not doing things efficiently, but doing them how he enjoys it.

NCGrimbo

NCGrimbo
Corporate Member
Definitely not apples to apples. My first impression of the hand saw cut was how rough the end of the board looked. Could be that it was due to the cut being on the end of the board, but so was the power tool cut and it looked a lot smoother.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Cute. It really depends on the situation for the given circumstances as to which is faster. But why split hairs if you are not willing to count setup time and or layout time, so on and so forth. Fact, you can four square a board fastper with the use of a power jointer and a power planer than processing by hand. This is of course predicated on having the work flow space for this operation. Cutting a board to length again depends on your set up space and equipment. However with that said as hobbyist when did this become a race. The other question that comes to mind is when does this hobby of ours stop being craft and become work? It’s all food for thought. I know this, the wood doesn’t care.

HMH

Heath Hendrick
Senior User
This is the YT’ers style of sarcasm boys. I watch a few of this guys videos, and that’s his style. If you’ll notice, the handsaw portion was sped up significantly, but kept the same clock. His full length videos always start w/ some sort of “trigger” like this, and then he unpacks it a bit.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
I don't know about speed, unless you've got to spend time setting up jigs, etc.

But accuracy? No question in my mind hand tools are more accurate. Fire away!

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Hey I’m not knocking the video, I’m just saying there is much more to the story. I don’t think one way is better than another.

HMH

Heath Hendrick
Senior User
In his defense - "trigger"/ click-bait claims like the joke he's making here = shares = views = YT monetization. That is the game there. He should title his next video "Will all table saw manufacturers be forced to implement Sawstop tech". 1M views by the weekend for sure, ha.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
This is the YT’ers style of sarcasm boys. I watch a few of this guys videos, and that’s his style. If you’ll notice, the handsaw portion was sped up significantly, but kept the same clock. His full length videos always start w/ some sort of “trigger” like this, and then he unpacks it a bit.
Ok, this brings things in line. I thought it was a little silly for someone of that skill level to say. Turns out it was silly but that was the intent. I'd never seen this guy before.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS