Interesting statistics

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Here (link deleted) you can generate some interesting statistics. Not particularly encouraging:BangHead:

Last edited:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Other than the ratio of active members to registered members, what else isn't encouraging???

Dave:)

MikeF

New User
Mike
I would say the number of members with zero posts is the most obvious stat.
The number of downloads also looks very high, but that is to be expected to some extent.

Steve, have you ever defined any goals/objectives for the forum?

Last edited:

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Steve, have you ever defined any goals/objectives for the forum?
Not really. The only goal was 500 members so that the forum was self sustaining.

The problem that I am looking at is the fact while membership is growing and so is the percentage of actve members (though at a smaller rate), the activity rate (new posts and new threads) is almost flat:eusa_thin

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
seems every day when I don't get to play at work, there are over 100 new posts when I get home? I remember that that was about the time we took the Miata.net forum from an e-list to the forum format. It was several years ago, and the member count was close to what we have now. They now have something approaching 15000 members? and so many posts I don't even go there anymore, it's hard to track anything more than 1 specific thread.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
It is possible that a "boys club" effect has been created where there is a core group of members who do the majority of posting and others are hesitant to jump into the "conversation" because they feel they don't belong well enough. I do think that this core group does all that it can to welcome and invite new members to participate, but there may be more that can be done :dontknow:
I surfed/lurked around Woodnet for about a year, posting only very occasionally when I had a major question. It wasn't until I felt that I started to "know" some of the members that I felt more comfortable posting more often. Even then I wouldn't post unless the thread had none or very few replies or it was a subject that I was very knowledgeable on.
Questions are answered so quickly and efficiently here, that new members might feel that they have nothing to add once the question has been covered. But that is also the attraction and beauty of the site, that if you post a question it is answer quickly and correctly...so what do you do :icon_scra :dontknow:

Dave:)

MikeF

New User
Mike
I completely agree with Dave. I will only post to a thread if I feel what I have to add is worth reading. I also agree that there are a core group of members that make up the majority of posts.

I would encourage members to participate wherever they can. For example, the post ""Do you work in IT and if so what do you do? " generated more interest than most posts I have seen and gave a lot of insight to the profiles of the NCWW members... and that had nothing to do with Woodworking!

DaveT

New User
Dave Tenhoeve
For what it's worth, I agree with Mike and Dave. I don't post often as all can tell, and then it is only when I can contribute something or have a new project to share. I have learned a lot from reading the other members contributions, but find I don't have much to add by the time I can sit down and read/post.

Dave

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
I also agree with the previous posts (particularily Mike and Dave). I am reluctant to post when there are so many respondents already. I enjoy the site and have learned an awful lot from a few of the frequent posters.

Dan C.

jerrye

New User
Jerry
I agree with all that's been said so far. Being a newbie to this in all aspects tempers my desire to jump right in with my .02, though so far no one here has called me an ID10T for anything I've said (a first, methinks;-) ). I'm not shy about talking or discussing! Plus, in some threads where I really didn't fit in but could help I've tried to contribute. As mentioned by MikeF I was able to help a forum member by directing him to a resource through PM'ing him a link to an association that could help him, though I myself do not work in IT. As DaveT said I have learned A LOT form reading the posts of others! This site has more value than is seen in total contribution of all members (after all, membership and involvement are two totally different things) because among those who do post there is a wealth of knowledge. Some of us are lurking, trying to learn; some are reluctant to chime in because of our perceived lack of ability to contribute; some are veterans, able to help those of us who lack the skill levels seen in many members. The worth of this site must be seen in its totality: a place where pros and rank amateurs alike can meet and discuss, hang out and chat, teach and learn, and do all of this together.

Just my .02, and probably not worth much more than that!

P Crews

New User
Paul Crews
I think Jerrye has said it well and I agree with Mike, Dave and Dan. This is an awesome site and I've learned a lot from it. Thanks for letting us be a part of it.

Paul

M

McRabbet

My observation? We have one stat that sits hard on ZERO -- it is complaints from members. Folks here are responsive, creative, friendly, informative and knowledgeable at many levels. Bottom line -- it is working despite the percentage of members with zero posts.

My .02 --- Rob

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
The worth of this site must be seen in its totality: a place where pros and rank amateurs alike can meet and discuss, hang out and chat, teach and learn, and do all of this together.

Just my .02, and probably not worth much more than that!

I agree with Jerry (the above sums it up for me) and the others here. I live in an area of NC where there are not many other WWers that I know of and not many material suppliers (online ordering is my friend:lol: ). Hince this site is a wonderful thing for me. Information at your fingertips and lots of inspiration for other craftsmen/craftswomen. I have even got a few positive comments from my feeble attempts at woodworking. :-D

That being said I want to thank Santa (Steve) and all his elfs for keeping this site going.

Grgramps

New User
Roy Hatch
I have no idea what numbers would certify a "successful" forum, but I think that from what I have read and how we treat one another, this is a great forum. I too am reluctant to post a response if someone has already posted what I would have to say. Nevertheless, an average of 200 posts a day seems impressive. Just curious, does that include the "YOU SUCK" posts?

The number of active vs. passive members may be a factor of how we approach woodworking. Being an old retired guy, I have nearly unlimited time in my shop, whereas many of our younger members (not the professional woodworker) spend more time making a living, with woodworking as a pastime. (Hope that makes sense)

Perhaps a chart or graph to show growth would be revealing. I have no figures to go by, but I have the impression that as time passes we have people joining this forum in greater numbers. Is that true?

And to all of you who invest your time and efforts to make this forum possible, I say, "Job well done"

Roy

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Ok, here's what I see in the numbers.

1.:icon_thum We have a more active membership than most forums. 50% of our total membership has posted. Almost 25% of our membership visits in any 24 hour period.

2. :icon_thum DaveO no longer has posted 10% of the total posts:rolf:

3. As the number of "active" members grows, one would expect that the number of new posts and new threads per day would also grow. Perhaps not at the same rate, but at least grow. It isn't:shocked7fl:

Number 3 is what concerns me. It doesn't make sense to me:BangHead: And when something doesn't make sense, I get worried.:lol:

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Just to clarify, do I think the site is not successful? Absolutely not, this site is much more successful than I ever thought it would be. You just can't believe how pleased I am.
:neener:

But I want to keep it successful, so I am always reviewing things and when I see something, I try and take a look. That's what this thread is about.

jerrye

New User
Jerry
As the number of "active" members grows, one would expect that the number of new posts and new threads per day would also grow. Perhaps not at the same rate, but at least grow. It isn't

Steve, have you considered that perhaps one reason some of us newbies don't post or start new threads is because a lot of you have already answered our questions or addressed our concerns? No sense rehashing something that is already settled/handled. Or maybe as I stated above some are overwhelmed at the level of expertise reflected here and are therefore wary of posting our own feeble efforts. I know I have been and somewhat still am in this group. I have made or modified three pieces of furniture for my daughter and her husband but because of the quality of the materials/work I see in them I'm reluctant to post pics of these beside some of Nick's or Dave's or Chris's or other's work. Yeah, I know that we all have to start somewhere, and I know that no one has ever made fun of other's work here (unlike some other forums I've been a member of or visited) but I still have some pride and don't want others to think I'm a COMPLETE idiot in my skills/abilities. However, I do have to say that outside of my church I've not seen a more welcoming and accepting group of people than I find here. I've personally met one member and through PM's met a few more, and I have to say I'm impressed by these people. No one can say they are not made to feel welcome here.

Just my .04 worth. (.02x2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS