Incra Miter Mod-Custom Handle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Having a blast with the lathe, and now the new PSI chuck. I am still learning and trying to incorporate these tools into the shop. One recent one, I couldn't get a "handle" on was the Incra Miter SE1000. It didn't feel right. As it "turned" out, the handle didn't fit my hand or my eye. I felt that it was too thin and I didn't have a good grip on so, I took this: It's an Oak pallet remnant given to me by a member
Incra_Handle_Raw_Blank.JPG

Into this:
Incra_Handle_After_Turning.JPG

And turned it using the new PSI chuck.
I was inspired by both the old car days when some of the highend vehicles and some US muscle cars came with wooden "Teardropped" shaped shift knobs. And also, being a new wood guy, inspired by the old hand planes that had beautiful wooden knobs.
Incra_Handle_Compare.JPG

As you can see, there is quite a difference! Turning the handle was easy and so was installing a 1/4 20 threaded insert and corresponding rod. (no glue up necessary) I then mounted on lathe and sealed with CA glue and 1 coat of HUT and 1 coat of woodwax. Once Finished, I cut the extra rod to size and this:
Incra_w_orign_handle.JPG

Now looks like this:
Inrcra_w_custom_handle1.JPG

And this is only Oak pallet wood, imagine a Curly Maple! and better finish.
Incra_w_custom_handle3.JPG

The neat thing about it is you can shape into anything you want! and the project only took me a couple hours! (I didn't know what shape or how big/small, etc..)

For me it was about form and function! It feels better and looks better to me.

Why settle for prefab plastic that companies use to cut costs and increase margins, when we have an abundance of scrap ready to convert into something more useful and pleasing to the eye?,

Thanks for looking!
Matt

woodylarry

New User
Larry
That big 4X4 ended up being a 3" knob? Musta been a BIG pile of sawdust? lol

Watch for nails in pallet wood. Free wood is nice but not if it costs you an expensive blade.

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
That big 4X4 ended up being a 3" knob? Musta been a BIG pile of sawdust? lol

Watch for nails in pallet wood. Free wood is nice but not if it costs you an expensive blade.

Did I mention how much I really am enjoying the lathe?:banana::rolf:

I used my handy nail-o-meter and chopped very slowly...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS