Improvised peg lathe

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
WARNING:
If you have strong opinions about using only the proper equipment, you might want to go on to the next thread.
Even Earl might find it a little dark in here... :gar-La;

I started a thread in the carvng forum about getting my tuning pegs shaped close to final form:
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?p=141589#post141589

One suggestion was to consider turning them and I even had a nice old lathe offered to me. I will probably take Mike up on that offer, but it will be a while before I can get up his way. In the meantime, I decided to improvise...

PICT0155.jpg

That's a pear wood peg blank (see the other thread for a picture of a similar instrument; the pegs are huge). I carved a little divot in the center of the blank so it stays on my fancy dead center (the ground pin of a 3 prong was the handiest round pin I could find already mounted in something I could clamp). My cutting tool is a Microplane rotary rasp. that worked out really well. It's hard to tell in the photo, but the surface is textured with tiny facets. It looks carved. With both drills on, I use the Microplane on the surface that is running away from me and didn't need a tool rest. This is a short term solution, but it is working pretty well. I got all 3 shaped close enough that I can carve and/or use a peg shaper to get them the rest of the way.

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
That's using the ol' noggin, Andy!:icon_thum
It's amazing what the mind can conceive with just a little thought...
Congrats on a fine solution to your quandary.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I did that same set up 25 years ago. Had to make a handle real quick at work and that was what I had in the shop. I used a piece of hedge wood from the row out back.

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
It worked didn't it?
There is a site that is tied in with Rocklear where someone turns a pen on a drill press using a similar technique.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I had seen the drill press used like this before, but I have never seen an electrical splitter used as a tailstock. If it works, why not use it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS