I need to turn a spoon...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
Hank, that is a great video! Thanks for sharing...

I have a feeling I'll be working with the HOW group here in Orange county on spoon carving in the near future. Peter does a great job in showing different methods to rough out a spoon.
Michael

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
What is the HOW group?

I would still defer to Mike as he has done this often and with some pretty fantastic results...

If he brings one of his knives to the March 1st marking gauge class - that might be some good time to get more information...

I really liked how Paul said he was doing this with his kids - I never thought about that being a "low-risk" project - but after the roughing out and bowl - everything else is pretty simple...

I did this one on the lathe and belt sander just to see if I could do it...

DSCN1483.JPG

DSCN1482.JPG
LOML says she likes it, but wants another one with a longer handle as she uses it for stiring oatmeal and her hand is too close to the pot. Well, again this was an experiment to see if I could do it, and the wood was re purposed form a cutting board that was splitting (which should have been wider too!)​

Last edited:

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Sounds like fun!
The group down here in Greenville charges to be part of the group. You do get use of a VERY nice shop, but it is over 30 minutes away. Plus the interaction I have had with a few members put me off... let's just say if they need sticks for a project it will be as simple as pulling them out of where they are stuck!:rolleyes:

The EXACT opposite of this group!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS