I need to find a router bit

Status
Not open for further replies.

gunit1400

New User
Scott
I am currently still trying to remodel our kitchen, to include painting, refinishing cabinets, new countertop, and the like. Our home was built in 1972 and the builder used prefab cabinets. The drawers are 100% plastic and quite honestly are as ugly as homemade soap. I want to build new drawers to match the old drawers, but I have no idea if I will be able to find a router bit so I can match the drawer fronts and doors. I'll post a couple of pics to give you an idea of what they look like. Thank you in advance for all your help.

drawerfront1.jpg

drawerfront2.jpg

drawerfront3.jpg

(hope I got the picture thing right)

Partman

Danny
Corporate Member
Check out the adds on right side [Eagle America] . They have all kinds of router bits.

Danny

manfre

New User
Manfre
It's not entirely clear, but are the drawer fronts and doors ugly or just the plastic? If you're going to reface your cabinets, it might be worth considering a new design that you like.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
My favorite for most router bits is MLCS. They include shipping in their prices and are still pretty reasonable. They should have something close enough.

Jim

gunit1400

New User
Scott
Thanks for the replies so far. The reason I'm want to make new drawers is two-fold. One, because they are 40 year old plastic, and two, because they are in a sad state and that makes them ugly. The fake woodgrain finish is coming off horribly, and though I am painting the cabinets, doors and drawers, I just don't trust those plastic drawers to hold the paint for long. The entire drawer, including the front, is plastic. They are made as one piece. I am priming with Kiltz, then following up with a semi gloss oil based enamel. Nevertheless, I hate those plastic drawers; therefore I'm going to do something different. If you can't see the pictures, try right clicking on it and open in a new tab. I'll try to post them a different way.

http://img849.imageshack.us/i/drawerfront1.jpg/

http://img43.imageshack.us/i/drawerfront2.jpg/

http://img641.imageshack.us/i/drawerfront3.jpg/

Alright, let's try it this way.

Warren46

New User
Warren
When I was faced with a similar situation last spring when I will doing some kitchen remodeling I invistigated having a custom bit made. A local sharpening service could make a custom router bit that was the exact profile for around $100. However, on the way down to order it I just stopped by woodcraft and did a search for the right bit. It cost about $50.00 and no one can tell the drawer fronts I made from the original.

You might want to call some sharpening service in your area and see if you can get similar results.

Warren

Dean Maiorano

New User
Dino
Um...why spend the money? That looks like a pretty flat bevel and a round over on the edge. You COULD reproduce that with a 1/4" radius round over bit and two table saw set ups (one for the main bevel and one to get the angled cut on the edges of the center section - if you want to be really precise). Not too terribly fancy and I dare say not too terribly hard to produce quickly given the small number of pieces you're likely going to need. If you want specifics, PM me and I'll walk you through it, likely you can figure it out yourself.

I would save my hard earned tool/bit money for something much more intricate or fancy. Again, considering the low number of pieces to produce, what's the likelihood you'll be using 'that' bit any time soon?

ehpoole

Ethan
Just a question, but if your drawer fronts look exactly like the cabinet fronts, why not reuse the old drawer fronts for your new drawers? You simply build your new drawer like normal, but with a narrower front board, then screw (from the interior) the old drawer fronts to the new drawer -- this is done quite a lot for premanufactured cabinets to allow a single cabinet design to support numerous face styles simply by swapping drawer fronts and cabinet doors. If the fronts themselves are fine, then there is no sense investing time and money in new tooling and labor.

Another option is to go ahead and do a full kitchen refacing and replace all the cabinet and drawer fronts with a style you prefer -- a very common option when a homeowner wants to give a kitchen or bathroom a new look without investing in cabinet replacement and/or remodeling.

HTH

Dean Maiorano

New User
Dino
Darn good suggestion EH. Maybe you got something there, if the fronts are wood. However, I don't think they are. To quote the OP's last post "The entire drawer, including the front, is plastic". I was assuming that meant that the front part was plastic as well ("The fake woodgrain finish is coming off horribly"). If you're right, you'll be saving the OP time as well as money.

Drew Roy

New User
Drew
Actually that drawer front profile is best run on a shaper and I have that panel cutter and I am willing to bet so does any of the cabinet shops in your area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS