I need a 1.5 diameter router bit,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon

New User
Jon Todd
I am trying to put a router plate in my table top and to match the curve of the jessem router insert it says I need a 1.5 diameter pattern bit. Any suggestions on where to get one? I went to the woddcraft store and the klingspor store and neither one had it.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
I believe you can find that at Rockler, Jon. I'm pretty sure I have one I bought at Lowes. You do me 1.5" in lenght/height?

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
1 1/2" dia. rabbeting bit with a 1/2" ID X1 1/2" OD bearing on top. Bearing would be the harder to find, of the two. Check to see if anyone here has bought the mounting template and would lend/ sell it to you. This is pretty much a one time use item. Kinda like owning a jointer knife setting jig, exactly how often do you use it?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Jon, you don't really need that for a Jessem plate. Here is what I did when I put mine in my table. I made a template out of ¾" MDF (½" would do fine also) by tracing the outline of the plate on the MDF and then very carefully cutting out the inside part. You want to keep the outer area, so stay just off the line (to the inside) a bit and sand to it for a nice clean line. Once you have your piece of MDF with a plate shaped hole in it, clamp it down to the router table surface. Chuck up a ½" or larger top bearing pattern bit in a plunge router. Set the plunge depth for just greater than the thickness of the router plate. Plunge into the top somewhere near the edge of the template inside the hole, and carefully follow around the inside edge of the template making a groove as wide as your chosen bit and just deeper than your plate is thick. Once you've cut that groove, which will now be the ledge that the router plate will sit on. Drill a hole somewhere inside of that groove in the waste material, and take a jig saw and cut out the rest of the waste getting as close to the inside edge of the groove you cut as possible. Remove and extra waste material to the depth of the groove with a chisel. You plate should fit exactly inside the recess you've created, and the leveling screws should allow you to flush it up with the top surface of the table easily.
I am sure that is clear as mud, give me a call if you want a better explanation or have any questions 919-422-2760.
Dave:)

erasmussen

New User
RAS
I must be dumb but I cant understand why you would need that big a pattern bit
You can cut a large radius with a small bit and the right pattern, what you can not do is cut a radius smaller then half the diameter of the bit:eusa_thin
So I am in the dark as to why the large dia. bit?

Jon

New User
Jon Todd
I must be dumb but I cant understand why you would need that big a pattern bit
You can cut a large radius with a small bit and the right pattern, what you can not do is cut a radius smaller then half the diameter of the bit:eusa_thin
So I am in the dark as to why the large dia. bit?

Well I am gonna do it like Dave suggested. But The router plate had a 3;4 eadius so to get the radius right in the table. does that make since? I want it to fit tight thats why i Wanted the big bit. But Dave the hero has saved the day.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Earl, the reason they suggest that size bit is so that you can make a simple template out of straight pieces of scrap wood by sandwiching them around the outside of the plate. The large diameter bit will automatically round the corners to match the radius on the plate's corners. But like I mentioned if you make a curved template you can use just about any size bit to follow it.

erasmussen

New User
RAS
OH ok now I know a square cornered template, then that bit would automatically give you a 3/4 r corner
Gotcha:)

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Jon, on further recollection of how I did mine, I believe that I used a 1½" spade or Forstner bit to drill the 4 corners of my template giving me the need ¾" radius, and then used the jig saw to cut the straight sections. With careful layout you should end up with a perfect fit. Even if the corners are a little off, as long as the straight sections are tight your plate won't move at all.

Charles M

New User
Charles
Here's the Freud 50-130:

317T2CGEJ0L._SS400_.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS