I Get to Test Rikon Customer Service

Rob in NC

Rob
Senior User
Yep... my brand new lathe has died after two weeks. Was turning snowmen and turned it off to remove a finished snowman, chucked up another section of wood and... nothing. No lights on display, no nothing. Known good plug. Checked fuse in control box, showed continuity.
Not knocking the brand, can happen to any of them, but have to say this is not a promising start. Fiddled around with it for an hour and gave up.

Bummer....

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Is that a new model? Not on their WEB. I am guessing a DVR drive which might have succumbed to infant mortality. It happens. Sounds like the DC supply failed. As best as I can tell, all the DVR controllers, be it Rikon, Laguna, Harvey, Viking, all use the same OEM.

Everyone seems to be short staffed, so I hope you don't have to be too patient.

Rob in NC

Rob
Senior User
I think it is a new model, yes. I noted a very faint spark at the outlet when plugging it in, but it ran and so I didnt think much of it. However, after troubleshooting, I noted no such spark from other tools plugged into the same outlet. Even now, I get that spark when plugging it in, and even on other plugs. So appears as a short or something in that PS box. I'm hoping they can just send a new box. I've already had it out to test the fuse and it's easy to replace.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I think it is a new model, yes. I noted a very faint spark at the outlet when plugging it in, but it ran and so I didnt think much of it. However, after troubleshooting, I noted no such spark from other tools plugged into the same outlet. Even now, I get that spark when plugging it in, and even on other plugs. So appears as a short or something in that PS box. I'm hoping they can just send a new box. I've already had it out to test the fuse and it's easy to replace.
That sounds like a ground fault. I must assume the outlet is non GFCI to come to this conclusion, but you should not have a spark at all with the tool switched off.

Rob in NC

Rob
Senior User
Perhaps... I'm definitely not an electrician. I know that no other tools do this when plugged into the same outlet, though so it's unique to this lathe.

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
If you're getting a small spark, that sounds as if you are energizing part of the control box, much like plugging in a laptop power supply. There may be a fuse, internal breaker that has tripped to not let the lathe power. Is there another outlet you can try that is not protected by a GFCI outlet?

I have found a couple of pictures of this lathe, and a couple of sites selling, but as Scott said, nothing on the Rikon site.

Rob in NC

Rob
Senior User
I just checked and this is a non GFCI outlet. Yesterday, I looked at the fuse. It is insulated so I'm unable to see if it's popped, but testing with a multimeter, it does have continuity.
I saw the lathe on a Rikon catalog online, but nothing on the site either. I had wanted to look for a parts listing, but unable to find one.
Will call CS tomorrow and hope that my assumption that the control box has a short is correct and that they will send one quickly so I dont have to lug the lathe back to Klingspore and wait forever and a day.
While I was up there and also in trouble shooting yesterday, I get that same spark regardless of where I plug it in to in my shop.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
I have a Nova lathe with a DVR motor. These motors air powered by an onboard compute. I called Nova and was told these machines required a heavy duty surge protector. There is NO warranty if this is not done. Chech your.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
I have a Nova lathe with a DVR motor. These motors air powered by an onboard compute. I called Nova and was told these machines required a heavy duty surge protector. There is NO warranty if this is not done. Check your instruction to see if your lathe needs such.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
@Rob in NC I bought a used, known "electronic failure" VSR lathe and when I called customer service, it was a VERY pleasent conversation and they were quick to diagnose and solve the problem. Since it was an out of stock lathe, they had to build the drive - they did that in 4-6 weeks and I think I got it in 6-8 weeks after order! My hope is you have the same experience.

Rob in NC

Rob
Senior User
I'm hoping a little quicker than 6-8 weeks, but I understand your point... :) This one was brand new just a couple weeks ago. I noted the tiny spark immediately but all functioned so I paid it no mind. Used it just to test the first week, semi heavily the second weekend and then this weekend... no more. Bad part is, I have a ton of requests for snowmen with it closer to Christmastime. Will find out tomorrow, I suppose!

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'm hoping a little quicker than 6-8 weeks, but I understand your point... :) This one was brand new just a couple weeks ago. I noted the tiny spark immediately but all functioned so I paid it no mind. Used it just to test the first week, semi heavily the second weekend and then this weekend... no more. Bad part is, I have a ton of requests for snowmen with it closer to Christmastime. Will find out tomorrow, I suppose!
Remember, mine was a VERY old lathe - not manufactured any longer, I think your success and speed will be much faster, I just don't want to jinx it! LOL
My point was, if they can take care of an old lathe (they had to make the bad VSR board by hand) I am guessing your experience will be much better...

Rob in NC

Rob
Senior User
Yes, sir... understood. Certainly not bad mouthing the company, just figured I would share in my (hopefully short lived) misery!

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Rob, not sure where you live but I live up on Lake Gaston on the NC/VA border. I am not looking to sell my lathe but you are welcome to come to my shop and use it.

Rob in NC

Rob
Senior User
Rob, not sure where you live but I live up on Lake Gaston on the NC/VA border. I am not looking to sell my lathe but you are welcome to come to my shop and use it.
That is exceedingly kind, sir. I'm a fair bit away outside of Asheville, however. I am just a weekend warrior on this so any missed orders wont cause me to miss a meal :) I'm sure Rikon will get this squared up for me quickly! I'll be giving them a ring in just half an hour.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
@Pop Golden I saw no such stipulation in my manual.
Often true, but everyone should consider that the power company only supplies power suitable for light bulbs and motors. Everything else is your problem. They do not guarantee clean stable power. The warrantee will usually say "normal use" as caused by manufacturing defect or normal wear and tear. A power surge causing electrical overstress they can claim is not normal. I would argue if it has a plug and is damaged by the power line, then it is still their fault under the "suitability for use" legal clauses. Of course adding decent protection to everything would raise all product prices. Messy.

Anything that is electronic should have a surge suppressor. I think some jurisdictions are finally requiring a panel mounted whole house suppressor. There are many kinds, some of which degrade and will fail ( simple MOV for instance) They also differ in speed. A fast diode or spark gap is quicker, so suppresses transients better than an MOV, but if included with a filter, then the speed difference may not matter as the filter limits rise time. In other words, complicated. As even our light bulbs ( LED) are now electronic, I suggest a panel mounted suppressor for everyone. FWIW, I lost a TV to a power line hit a few years back and lost the controller for my stove last year.

Also be aware that emergency generators, power packs, and inverters may put out very dirty power. Granted, we are not likely to be running our DVR tools during a power outage, but for everything else in your house, do consider that.

Rob in NC

Rob
Senior User
Test passed.... Explained situation with Rikon tech support and they are sending a new control box today. This was best case scenario. Was painless and quick!
Editing to expound on this a bit. In an age where that customer service has went to the crapper (my opinion), it was great to see Rikon make this painless. There was no waiting on hold for 30 minutes, no having to battle with tech support...nothing. Just 'here is my issue' and then 'let me get your info and we'll get this sent out today' Great support!

Last edited:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors