I cheated, now I feel dirty please tell me it is OK before I pocket screw everything!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
So I was looking at the calender and realized that if I wanted to get the rest of my federal tax credit for energy efficient upgrades that I only have until the end of the year to install 4-windows, 1-entry door and reside my garage. Then I looked at the status of my current woodworking project (wide dresser) and realized that I needed to speed things up to accommodate all the building materials for the exterior work so.....

In the interest of time, I decided to change the construction of the frame drawer dividers from M&T to pocket screw construction (may even incorporate it on the drawer backs). I bought the basic Kreg jig, did a few test assemblies and am hooked! I still feel a little bad that I incorporated "fasteners" into this project but had I not posted it here no one would have ever known.

So, how many of you opt for the "easy way out" vs. the "purist way out" on concealed components of your projects?

LloydP

New User
Lloyd
Re: I cheated, now I feel dirty please tell me it is OK before I pocket screw everyth

I'm not proud! I had to finish a dining table for our lakehouse for this Thanksgiving, and used pocket hole screws for the table base. They can't be seen, and I am the only one who seems to care if I don't used mortise and tenon joints. Not my preference, but it was worth it to get it finished.

Rob

New User
Rob
Re: I cheated, now I feel dirty please tell me it is OK before I pocket screw everyth

I just did a tool chest drawers and everything, felt a little guilty, but it's strong, fast, and made from melemine anyways.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member

I recently built a dresser/changing table for my Granddaughter. The plans called for dowels, which I don't like and am not very good at. I substituted pocket screws in all places that called for dowels. IMHO the finished product is stronger and will hold up better over time. Plus it saved me a bunch of time and aggravation.

No guilt here. :wsmile:

Glennbear

Glenn

I am definitely not a joinery purist, I love my Kreg jig and pneumatic brad driver. :wsmile:

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member

The only time you should feel bad about using pocket screws is when they deprive you of the enjoyment of using the nail gun :)

kooshball

David
Corporate Member

The only time you should feel bad about using pocket screws is when they deprive you of the enjoyment of using the nail gun :)

I will have plenty of time for that with the siding / windows / door project! Last year's "simple" siding and window project resulted in my reframing two window rough openings and one corner of my house due to the previous owner covering up issues rather than addressing them:wmad:

Nothing like the sound of a nail gun on a cold winter morning...

leftoflefty

New User
Ricky

I picked up a Kreg jig at the Klingspor show. I love mine. I have found a way to use it on the most mundane things.:gar-La;

jjalert

New User
Jason

Nothing wrong with using the old Kreg now and again! :gar-La;

Len

New User
Len

Jigs have been used in wood working for centuries. So why feel bad about using another one that helps get holes at the correct angle for the purpose?

Len

BSHuff

New User
Brian

Pocket screws are just a gateway drug... a buddy might let you use the first jig for your project, then you need to buy one... you get a sample box of 100 screws, next thing you know you have 2000 count boxes of every size and shape they make.. Then you know you are hooked. You might think you need a second drill to speed up the process, feel that high of a completed joint sooner. Pretty soon you will be drooling over that green tool, don't worry it will all be OK, once that Festool Domino is in your shop. You can justify it.. they are tenons... Tenons are good... People will tell you to stop, that you don't need them, but they do not understand the rush, the euphoria you get when you use them, they just don't understand, BUT we your woodworking buddies do, we understand...

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member

Pocket screws are just a gateway drug... a buddy might let you use the first jig for your project, then you need to buy one... you get a sample box of 100 screws, next thing you know you have 2000 count boxes of every size and shape they make.. Then you know you are hooked. You might think you need a second drill to speed up the process, feel that high of a completed joint sooner. Pretty soon you will be drooling over that green tool, don't worry it will all be OK, once that Festool Domino is in your shop. You can justify it.. they are tenons... Tenons are good... People will tell you to stop, that you don't need them, but they do not understand the rush, the euphoria you get when you use them, they just don't understand, BUT we your woodworking buddies do, we understand...
:rotflm: :rotflm: :rotflm:

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member

Now that's funny Brian!!! :rotflm::rotflm::rotflm::rotflm::rotflm:

Maybe you should have said a "gateway jig or tool"!!!!!!!:gar-La;:gar-La;:gar-La;

Brian.

reprosser

New User
Rick

I feel better now.

Hope to get a "fix" this weekend.:wwink:

buildintechie

New User
Jeff

I just read this to my fiance...who is a substance abuse counselor. She thinks its hilarious, and told me to tell ya'll that the first step is admitting you have a problem.

I haven't a clue what problem shes talking about!

Last edited:

ncleet

New User
Lee

David, good for you... I told you that you'd like it. I think that using pocket screws anywhere they can't be seen is a great time saver. I have the one mounted on a slab of plywood as well as the smaller jigs. Let me know if you'd like to use it. Makes quick work out of face frames.
Lee

BSHuff

New User
Brian

I just read this to my fiance...who is a substance abuse counselor. She thinks its hilarious, and told me to tell ya'll that the first step is admitting you have a problem.

I haven't a clue what problem shes talking about!

Problem? I don't have a problem!!!.. I can stop my tool purchases at ANY TIME! Any Time I tell you! :rotflm:

ncleet

New User
Lee

David, you helped me cut the back legs for these chairs with your bandsaw. There's a BUNCH of pocket holes in these pieces. You have to turn them upside down to tell. My grandkids didn't seem to mind. :gar-Bi
Lee

DSCN2964.JPG

View image in gallery

ehpoole

Ethan

Pocket screws are just a gateway drug... a buddy might let you use the first jig for your project, then you need to buy one... you get a sample box of 100 screws, next thing you know you have 2000 count boxes of every size and shape they make.. .

Ummm. So I take it I'm in good company seeing how I have about 1,000 to 3,000 of nearly every size and style of Kreg screw they make (both panhead and washerhead from 3/4" to 2-1/2")? Of course I use them for plenty of other applications, not just pocket hole joinery.

I think pocket hole joinery is perfectly fine for quick and dirty construction of non-heirloom type projects. That said, I still think long-grain glue joints will outlast pocket hole joinery where time and abuse come into play, but then not every project is expected to be heavily abused nor outlast the builder, their children, and their children's children.

So, in a word, "NO" you should not feel guilty. My entire vertical wood storage area was built out of Kreg pocket hoe joinery (in 2x4s) and 2-1/2" Kreg screws (see NCWW photo album for photos of my wood storage).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS