I can turn more than pens...I think

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I have had this blank of curly sycamore that I got from Jeff for quite a while. Never really got the nerve to chuck it up. Well today either stupidity or machismo got the best of me and I decided to turn it. This is the largest piece of wood that I have turned on my lathe, and I don't recommend you try this at home. I square danced with it until I got it round and then really couldn't go over 1000rpm with out my lathe taking a hike. I decided to take a few WIP pics in case it blowed up on me. I could at least prove I tried :lol: :lol:

Here is the blank mounted and rough turned round. It's about 10" in dia. and 5" thick at this point.

Big_curly_Sycamore_bowl_002.jpg

Here it is turned to the final outside shape and a BLO added to POP the curl.

Big_curly_Sycamore_bowl_005.jpg

After finishing the outside, I re-chucked with a tenon (in a recess, I don't know why it's called that) and got prepared to hollow her out 8-O

Big_curly_Sycamore_bowl_006.jpg

Hollowing it out took forever. That' s a lot of wood to remove. I had to stop and sharpen twice during the process, and still had some tear out. I don't think that I have large enough chisels for a bowl this deep :eusa_doh:

Big_curly_Sycamore_bowl_007.jpg

Turning bowls makes a huge mess, that's why I really like it. You ain't turnin' unless you end up taller than when you start. Anybody need some Sycamore curlies?

Big_curly_Sycamore_bowl_008.jpg

Well here is final product, it started to warp on me so I couldn't get it as thin as I would have liked to. But the curl and slight spalting is really nice. Jeff, you need a lathe, you're sitting on a gold mine of beautiful wood :icon_thum

Big_curly_Sycamore_bowl_009.jpg

And a inside shot, I think I got it down to a 1/2" uniform thickness throughout. I was scared to go smaller. I finished it with BLO, that was burnished at high speed and then a coat of paste wax. It will do what it will do...that's art, right??

Big_curly_Sycamore_bowl_016.jpg

Thanks for looking, any critiques, advice or sales welcome :-D :-D

Dave:)

jtdums

New User
Jim
That is a beautiful bowl and you are right about that wood. great curl and I like what you did with it.

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Great first bowl! Did you start off with a round blank from the band saw? I was wondering why it was jumping so bad. Once you get used to bowls, it's hard to keep doing pens... :) .

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Actually this is my fourth or fifth bowl, not to mention the platters I have made :eusa_doh: I did round it out on the bandsaw first, but it was just a huge mass of wood to mount on my fairly lightweight lathe. I did turn the tool rest to the inside of the bowl once I got the clearance for it, and that did help with the chatter some. I was turning with a 1/2" bowl gouge, and think that if I was using a 5/8" or greater gouge I wouldn't get so much noise. Curly grain doesn't like to be cut well, and that was the biggest part of my issues, on top of the fact that the blank was still pretty wet and I wanted to turn it to finish in one setting.
Mike, I would love to get a S shaped tool rest, I think that would be a huge help in deep turnings. I've got a 1" post on my toolrest now, do you know of any that won't break the bank and will fit my lathe???

J

jeff...

Dave, I'm glad that blank "turned" out for you. It makes running the sawmill worth while when I see things like this that you guys make out of the wood I cut. I hope that one holds soup because that's one sharp looking bowl. :icon_thum

Thanks

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
Excellent job Dave and what a great looking blank to work with. Now you have something to keep your pens in!

Wildwood

New User
Wildwood
Dave have you ever been to NC Woodturners Symposiums?

Think you would appreciate the "Instant Gallery," and Vendor Area," both free to the public. May find good prices on wood and tools there.

Next one will be at Greensboro Colliseum Conplex Oct. 5th - 7th, 2007.

Anyone selling wood might do some business there too!

http://www.northcarolinawoodturning.com/index.html

JRD

New User
Jim
Dave,

I never had a doubt that you could do it!

I need to talk with you about some boxes I'm thinking about.

Again, Way to GO!

Jim

BumoutBob

New User
Bob
Great bowl, :eusa_danccurly wood like that is what it's all about. If you would add a sand bag or two the the bottom shelf of the lathe it would make it more stable. I have a roll around cart to store my tools. Chips fill up my shelf during turning and I can't find anything.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Dave have you ever been to NC Woodturners Symposiums?

Think you would appreciate the "Instant Gallery," and Vendor Area," both free to the public. May find good prices on wood and tools there.

Next one will be at Greensboro Colliseum Conplex Oct. 5th - 7th, 2007.

Anyone selling wood might do some business there too!

http://www.northcarolinawoodturning.com/index.html

I am really looking forward to going to that. I hope to see a bunch of NCww'ers there.

Gary G

New User
Gary
Beautiful looking. I've yet to make anything large like that. Gotta give it a go. That's inspiring.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I am really looking forward to going to that. I hope to see a bunch of North Carolina Woodworker'ers there.

me too me too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:icon_thum remind us when it gets closer dave. looks like i might be able to learn sumpin there!8-O i like turning but aint real good at it yet. nice lookin bowl BTW.

fred p

J

jeff...

Maybe I should just focus in on figured hardwood and move to the beach :icon_thum

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
that is a pretty bowl...you must be a pretty good dancer. I've never 'square danced' with a bowl blank, but I bet the do-see-do part gets pretty exciting!!!

I can't wait 'till I can turn bigger stuff...someday :)

Nice work!!
Chris

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
:icon_thum Great work Dave :eusa_clap :eusa_clap The figure is wild. I can not wait to turn the blanks I have from Jeff I think I have 5 or 6 from that log :eusa_danc :eusa_danc

lottathought

New User
Michael
Very nice Dave.
I need to come by and watch a bowl being turned sometime.
Seeing it done once helps me figure a lot of things out before I try it.

DavidF

New User
David
Nice looking bowl there Dave. I didn't have time to try out the GW on a large blank, but the Rikon certainly feels as though it could handle it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS