I also took a trip today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon

New User
Jon Todd
Like Travis did but my Band saw is not near as nice as the belt sander he got. I went to see Tom today and picked up the Band saw he recently Reviewed.

Seems like a good saw. I need to get some better blades for it.

What kind of blades do you guys recommend? I have seen some called timberwolf. I just dont know what thickness to have on hand. Band Saw is new to me so I am sure I will have some questions for all of you.

Jet_bandsaw.jpg

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Nice score Jon! :eusa_danc I have the 1/2" and 3/4" Woodslicers and I've been very pleased. My BS is only 3/4 HP, so I'm sure they'd be even better on yours. Enjoy! :icon_thum

Trent

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
With the guidance of Jackleg, I put a 3/8 timberwolf on my Jet and love it!!!

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Nice score, you rock!~ And of course, killer deal (thanks to Tom)!

As for blades, Timberwolf are really nice and readily available. Also heard great things about the Woodslicer. If you want to veneer, consider a (more expensive) carbide-tipped blade (read the posts everywhere, you won't regret it).

Bill Mason

New User
Bill Mason
Jon,

Maybe I could help you pick out some nice blades at Klingspor on Saturday??:icon_thum

Bill

redhawknc1

New User
Wayne
I purchased a Powermatic 14" Band Saw a couple of weeks ago. Since, I have purchased a selection of Timberwolf's and 1 Woodslicer. Of course, I've only used the blade that came with the saw so far, so I can't advise you. I'm sure you will love the saw! And it does look great next to the Table Saw! I'm trying to figure out a dedicated resaw band saw to compliment my 14". Haven't figured it out yet. That 18" Jet that Tom is using sure looked nice too! Enjoy your saw, I've used mine quite a bit the last couple of weeks. The one you purchased was still in the box unassembled when I took a trip to Tom's to pick up the Jet Shaper a couple of weeks ago! I'm sure it is Sweet!

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Love those road trips!!!! Congrats, but I thought you were faltering on woodworking? Did you ever move to the coast or am I totally confused?????

If you can swallow the cost, buy a carbide tipped blade.

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
I will second, third and fourth for carbide blades.:icon_chee
I recently had a mishap where I tweaked a carbide blade :BangHead:and put on a new blade.
Not carbide.
Man talk about slow, and no where near as nice of a cut.:wsad:
By the way the other no carbide was a timberwolf. Not putting timberwolf down, as they are nice blades. Just there is no comparison to carbide.
Did I say I love carbide blades?:icon_thum But then again you have to bit the bullet on the price.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Now wait just a minute, Last month everybody was saying the Timberwolf is junk and to get the Woodslicer. What changed?

redhawknc1

New User
Wayne
As I mentioned I bought a new bandsaw and bought a selection of woodslicer and Timberwolf blades. My question is..who makes the Carbide Tip Blades?

Jon

New User
Jon Todd
Love those road trips!!!! Congrats, but I thought you were faltering on woodworking? Did you ever move to the coast or am I totally confused?????

If you can swallow the cost, buy a carbide tipped blade.

Well I did buy the business at the Beach at its doing great. I go down on Weekends for now and as soon as we can we will put ours on the Market. And then move. I'm not quiting WW'ing I have slowed down alot Between Landscaping and driving back and forth to Emerald Isle. I am still under restriction on saying what I have done at the beach But it will not be long and I can tell more.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Now wait just a minute, Last month everybody was saying the Timberwolf is junk and to get the Woodslicer. What changed?
I, for one, think that the Timberwolfs are not good value.

It looks like a lot of people in this thread are enamored with carbide blades, but they are too expensive for my budget (usually retailing about $1/inch of blade), so I stick to Lenox bimetal blades. They last 5-10x as long as plain carbon steel blades for ~2.5x the price.

-Mark

re-edited to keep original meaning

Last edited:

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Being that this is my first bandsaw and the blades that came with it were used and probably dull, I may not be a good judge of the timberwolf.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I have had good luck with T'Wolf blades resawing both red oak and black walnut ( 11" RO and 8" BW). I have a lower scale BS, so I can tension the larger width T'Wolf blades at lower tension than a standard blade and don't risk overloading the bearings or tension spring.

The smaller (ie 3/8 width) Lennox also work okay, and I have not tried Woodslicer. If you have a less expensive 14" saw with riser, I think the T'Wolfs are a good buy.

Go

tom hintz

New User
Tom Hintz
I also have tried a bunch of band saw blade makers and settled on Timber Wolf a few years ago as they were the best cutting, most consistent blades I could get. I just like their design, how long they last and the folks who answer the phone at Timber Wolf are the best in the business. Tell them what saw you have, how big of a blade you want and what you want to do with it and they will get you the perfect blade for the job. They have never steered me wrong. Plus, the price and delivery have always been very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors