Hutch

Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
I am making some progress on this hutch for my wife to display her polish pottery.
**I don't know how to turn the pictures**

Attachments

• 20150830_171619.jpg
    20150830_171619.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 115
  • 20150830_171603.jpg
    20150830_171603.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 109
  • 20150830_171554.jpg
    20150830_171554.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 109

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Looks like a nice job on the hutch so far Michael. Beautiful wood! I'm curious: what is the line across the bottom of the right hand panel? Am I missing something?

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
Mr. Clemmons when I was preparing the boards for the panels I mistakenly cut too much off of one. Instead of scraping the whole thing I decided that I would mortise the two pieces back together. Knowing that the joint would be visible instead of trying to hide it I decided to highlight it and sandwiched ebony between the cut and threw a clover (good eye Mike) on the end of it. The pine will be painted black with milk-paint on the outside and muted barn red on the inside, the ebony will tie in with the color scheme.

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
Not really. I know to some that it will look like a blaring mistake to not mirror it on the other side. Maybe i am injecting to much abstract philosophical parallels between highlighting that mistake and how we look at flaws in our own life. I know for one that I have many many flaws, I don't hide them. I work on them, I accept them. I walk the same way in woodworking.

thsb

New User
Tim
I would have probably tried to make it symmetrical as well but i like that you didn't. For me it would be a reminder of a mistake but for most people it will just subtly shake their perception and they will pay more attention to the whole piece as a result. Just like we find more fascination with people who have some quirks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS