HSS and oilstones

Scott H

Scott
User
Is there anything I should be aware of using oil stones and high-speed steel? I have some HSS blanks I am using for a project and I feel like I remember hearing there are some caveats with fancier steels and certain stones. Don't know the exact HSS alloy I have but it wasn't particularly expensive, maybe M2.

I tried a Norton India stone on it, which is a fairly coarse grit synthetic stone (I think), and it seemed OK. Just don't want to mess up my nicer arkansas ones.

If it's just cutting slower than on simpler carbon steels that's OK with me, I don't need to do a ton of this.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
If it's your job to mess up a hard Arkansas stone by sharpening HSS or any other hardened steel, you're going to be there a while - like a decade or two.
I've never heard of problems sharpening stone choices would impart on any type of steel.
Stones are an abrasive surface that will eventually wear down. Softer, quick cutting stones obviously wear faster
Flush the surface of steel particle slurry will slow down the wear process. I use WD-40 exclusively and have for years. A gallon will last me a decade or more.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Like Bob stated, you would have a hard time messing up your stones with the steel you are working on. You will however notice that it takes longer to achieve a honed edge. It you happen to have diamond stones you will get there quicker. Other than that you are fine.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors