HowTo: Drum Top Table technique?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Absinthe

New User
Abs
I do not want to buy "bendable plywood", however, I am not opposed to kerfing regular plywood. I am also ok using solid wood.

The question is: (well two of them I guess)

How do I do it with kerfing plywood?
How do I do it with solid wood?

In both cases, I understand the super basics.

I know I have to cut some number of kerf cuts, some depth and some distances apart... All those variables have to be formulaic based on size, thickness, radius etc.. How to I calculate them?
I know I cut pieces of solid wood to make a sexagon/octagon/decagon.... dodecagon... whatever... But stock thickness calculations for such a thing, also must be calculated on similar factors.. How do I calculate those?

Thanks in advance.

-- Abs

Jeff

New User
Jeff
What's wrong with using bending plywood? You don't want to buy a 4' x 8' sheet with a lot of leftover stuff?

Bending plywood has all of the layers in the same direction, that's why it bends easily, but regular plywood has each ply at 90 degrees to each other so maybe it doesn't bend so well. Solid wood with the kerf cut might bend easier.

I don't know. I did find this calculator but haven't figured it out yet.

https://www.blocklayer.com/kerf-spacingeng.aspx

Absinthe

New User
Abs
Great link. I am not religiously opposed to bendable plywood, just never saw it for sale anywhere I have been, and the thought of ordering something like that shipped sounds like an expensive proposition.. I will ask about it at Klingspore today since I have to go there anyway.

Absinthe

New User
Abs
Picked up about 20 lbs of maple from the scrap bin. I asked about the bendable plywood and they had no idea what I was talking about. SMFT. I will keep an eye out.

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
I've made excellent smooth bends with conventional Baltic Birch plywood in both 1/2" and 3/4" (metric equivalents) with equally spaced saw kerfs to a depth 1/8" short of the thickness. Spacing is determined by the radius, but closer spacing than required to bring the bent plywood kerfs together is preferred. I have made smooth curved panels with 12" radius over 4" to 18" lengths. Bending just takes patience and a curved form on the benchtop is best.

Absinthe

New User
Abs
I've tried to enlighten them on EZ Smart before, they don't seem to be receptive to my suggestions of enlightenment. I did contact CFP, but I will contact some of the online places to see where things can be gotten from.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
The hardwood store carries bendable plywood, and they carry vertical and horizontal orientations.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Have you considered resawing some wood into thin strips and laminating them around a form?

Roy G

Absinthe

New User
Abs
I have considered many things. I guess I am hoping to hear from someone who has done one with some suggestions on what worked and what didn't. :) I so prefer to learn from someone else's mistakes than reinventing the wheel and making all the same ones :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors