How would this look?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I am working on a couple of end tables to go aside our new living room couch (it's taller and the last set I made are too short :eusa_doh: )
They will have QS Sycamore tops with breadboard ends on Walnut legs, stretchers and aprons. I plan to pin the breadboard ends with Walnut pegs, but would like to bring more of the Walnut color into the top. I am entertaining the idea of inlaying some thin Walnut strips into the top a few inches in from the edges. Possibly lining them up so they split the Walnut pegs (they'll be square) in half. Something like this -
wwk310_1ca_e.jpg

Would that look good or be too busy with the BB ends???? :eusa_thin :eusa_thin

Dave:)

Last edited:

nelsone

New User
Ed
Dave, why dont you do a model in sketchup and see what it looks like? Sounds like it would work to me!

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I could build two table tops before I could figure out how to model it in Sketch-up. Any help from the Sketch -up users out there. 18" x 24" top, 3" wide BBs and the pegs centered at 2¼" from the outer edge.
My biggest doubt factor is that if the inlay runs into the BB ends there will be times where it won't line up with the rest of the inlaid strips across the field of the top :eusa_thin :icon_scra

lottathought

New User
Michael
No way that will be too busy.
Of course..give your daughter an afternoon and a crayon..THAT will be the test..LOL

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Does this look like what you are thinking of?

daveo.jpg

Exactly, but there would be three pegs on the BB ends.
Thanks for doing that. It doesn't look too bad, now can you make the breadboard ends move :lol: :lol:

rhett

New User
rhett
DaveO;88334My biggest doubt factor is that if the inlay runs into the BB ends there will be times where it won't line up with the rest of the inlaid strips across the field of the top :eusa_thin :icon_scra Dave:-)[/quote said:
That is exactly what will happen over time. The fact the the top is qtrsawn will help some with movement though. When dealing with BB ends I was taught to make them 1/16 proud of the width so the main body of the top is never greater than that of the BB. Maybe you could resaw your stock and veneer the top. Then the sky is the limit as far as decorative inlay is concerned.

nelsone

New User
Ed
OK, Here it is with a third peg. Tried sliding the breadboards for you, but THEY ARE PEGGED!:lol:

daveo-1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors