How-To Videos

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
I'm in the middle of painting a harpsichord using oil-based paint. Since my shop has no finishing room, I can't do much woodworking during the curing period. Rather than sitting around for hours watching paint dry, I like to watch how-to videos on YouTube. I find many well done and informative videos that are both educational and inspiring. However, there is one type of video I refuse to watch - how-to videos with no speech. To me, there is nothing more boring and unproductive than watching someone cut and drill and measure, and cut and drill and measure, and cut and drill and measure, without having any idea what he/she is trying to do. Most of these videos don't even bother to show the completed project at the beginning so that the viewer has some idea of what the goal is. Instead, they usually start off with a sheet of plywood being cut on a table saw, followed by an indeterminate bunch of holes drilled into it, followed by another wooden thing-a-ma-jig being glued and screwed to it. There goes another 8 minutes of my life.

While I'm sure these videos are well intentioned (and a few might actually be informative), I've stopped watching them altogether. Perhaps I'm just getting crotchety in my old age, but for me, video without audio is useless. What say you?

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
Ernie- I'm with you on that as a general statement.
Now the exception to prove the rule- Primitive Technology channel on Youtube

The first one I watched I kept waiting for him to talk, finally realized that if I was in the bush doing what he was doing I probably wouldn't be talking either. Instead of some guy yammering on about his exploits you listen to birds, and rain, even insects. Nice change from most programming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS