How to make small, perfectly round circles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

quid_non

Wayne
Senior User
Wow! Thanks for all the great suggestions, ideas and replies - I can always count on this forum to "teach" me!

I used a combination of the suggestions to fix my stupid goof!

1. Used a 1 3/8" hole cutting saw with my drill press to cut ~1 3/8" plugs from some 3/4" oak stock

2. Placed the plugs in the holes and penciled around the "proud" part of the plug

3. Use a sender to remove the excess wood to make the plug sit flush with the face frame.

Problem: Still had a decent gap between the plug and the hole
Decided to use some old oak veneer edge banding to fill it.

4. Cut a piece of ~1/16" oak "hot melt" adhesive edge banding veneer long enough to go around the circumference of the plug, this made a good tight thight fit.

5. Trimmed the venner to fit, glued the plug in and did a final sand & poly finish.

See before and after pics. Not flawless, but a reasonable fix - besides, it show that the door was crafted by a human and not a CNC machine!!

Thanks for the help - I really like the innovative comments abount covering the goof with thin metal or the like - I never would have thought of that!!

goof:

fix:

Best
Wayne

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Wayne, from the looks of that hole, was that by chance a hole for 35 mm cup hinge?? they sell plugs, and cutters for those plugs, for that kind of application. I guess some one else has had that same problem before. was just going through some things in my shop the other day, and I found a pack of plugs for just that sort of operation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS