How to deal... Need help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

christopheralan

New User
Christopheralan
I have an art gallery that wants to show my work. I am trying to figure out the best way to approach this. I am wanting to keep the pricing of my artwork simple, by charging by the square inch. For example, an 8x10 pic is 80 sq inches, and at 95 cents per, total price would be $76.00.

I think that is the best way to keep the pricing fair across the board. No matter what the pic is, the pricing will be based solely on the size. Sound fair?

Also, I was thinking about a 60/40 split between myself and the dealer. Because he is opening the door for me and willing to show my stuff, I feel like it would be in both of our best intrests to give him a good cut of 40%.

To high, low, just right? Please let me know what you think. I am a good pyro guy, but am still lacking on the dealings end of things.

lottathought

New User
Michael
First off.....I have to ask what the dealer wants to charge for a picture?

Also, I am not sure that you may not be hurting yourself by being so fair in prices.
I remember taking some photo classes in college.
One thing that the professor harped on was to never under-estimate your worth.
It is very common...if you put two pieces of art next to each other...charge more for one than the other.......the people viewing it will percieve more value in the higher charged piece.
This simple truth is one of the very reasons why stores have sales rather than just lower the price.

I would let the dealer set the prices and go with the 60/40split for starters...IF..that means some profit for your work in the end after all materials are accounted for.

christopheralan

New User
Christopheralan
I'll admit. I don't charge what I think I'm worth sometimes. I guess I am scared that a high price will scare off too many people. I try to bring in my pics to work and have some of the guys I work with give me quotes and advise. I lost my camera a while back and have not been able to post anything in a while to have NCWWers look. My stuff has gotten closer and closer to photo-realistic but I am having a hard time finding stuff to compair it to. The stuff on my web site is rough looking compaired to the pics I have been doing lately.

I have a meeting scheduled with the owner of the gallery on Monday. I feel like I am walking into a job interview in a way...

DaveD

New User
Dave
Why not ask the art gallery to price them for you and see what they come up with? Then pick their brain as to why they picked those prices? Remember you have to be somewhat competitive. Even if it is on commission you are still competing for wall space from the gallery owner.

Take some time and find out where the various art galleries/studios are and go look at what is showing.

I helped my daughter put on a few art shows over the years. Some were where she was the exclusive person showing and others where there were maybe 8 or 10 other artists also showing. I'm glad this was/is a hobby for her.

For the life of me I can't figure out how that stuff gets priced out. I have seen absolute crap priced at $2000 and other stuff that I thought was really nice priced for a couple of hundred dollars. Small paintings expensive, big ones less expensive. Or the other way around. :-?:-?:-? Paintings, that looked like the proverbial monkey in the zoo painted them, for outrageous prices

Art is in the eye of the beholder and I readily admit I must be blind as far as what the art world produces. I did one large painting myself one time just to try out the equipment my daughter was using at Meridith College. Some kind of paint on steel plates real fast and then send the plates through a big pressure roller to transfer the paint to paper. Somebody actually thought I had potential when they saw what I did (in 30 minutes or so). :lol::lol::lol:

I just recently looked at two $7500 paintings and I can't tell them (quality wise) from the $200 ones I have on my family room wall. BTW they were all about the same size (24"x30").

I wish you well in selling your art pieces. It seems like a tough business if you don't have an already established name.

cskipper

Cathy
I agree with having an idea in mind, but ask the dealer their opinion. It will also matter if they are selling it on commission or buying it from you and selling it.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
I have an art gallery that wants to show my work. I am trying to figure out the best way to approach this. I am wanting to keep the pricing of my artwork simple, by charging by the square inch. For example, an 8x10 pic is 80 sq inches, and at 95 cents per, total price would be $76.00.

I think that is the best way to keep the pricing fair across the board. No matter what the pic is, the pricing will be based solely on the size. Sound fair?

Also, I was thinking about a 60/40 split between myself and the dealer. Because he is opening the door for me and willing to show my stuff, I feel like it would be in both of our best intrests to give him a good cut of 40%.

To high, low, just right? Please let me know what you think. I am a good pyro guy, but am still lacking on the dealings end of things.

After 15 years of doing craft shows and dealing with consignment shops and selling to galleries----------I still have not found a "one size fits all" answer to selling art work/handcrafted items.

It is a little different perspective if you are trying to make a living at it or just a hobby. Try to keep in mind costs in producing the item---in materials, time, equipment, supplies, training, marketing, etc. It is an ongoing chore to price your work when everything else keeps going up.

Right place, right time, right clientel with good quality work will bring a FAIR price for your work. Do not cut your own throat. If you can't keep your work on the shelf chances are the price is too low.

Good luck with the pricing struggle!!

Jerry:)

DaveO

New User
DaveO
All I have to suggest is something I was told by a very wise man, and then proved it to myself, unfortunately :crybaby2:

It is always easier to lower your price than to raise it

Your work is worth at least twice if not three times what you think it is worth to someone who has no idea on how you've made it or can't do it themselves.
MTCW,
Dave:)

Makinsawdust

New User
Robert
Chris,
I have found that 25-30% is about what I average to sell my work be it shows, galleries, booth rental in emporiums or consignment. If you can get a 70/30 you'll be about right given you have a high enough price to begin with. The thing with consigning is, unless you have an exceptional store owner, you may have to stay on top of it or payment to you may not be prompt. Pricing and marketing is the "real" art of this business. The more you study the business side of things the better.
Good Luck.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I find pricing my work the hardest part of doing my wood working. I do some craft fairs, in fact I have one next weekend, and I usually wait until the last minute.

One person will come in and tell you how nice your work is and might even ask how you can sell so cheap. That is a fellow craft person or at the least recongizes the effort. At the same show someoe will tell you they like your work but ask why so expensive. That person is clueless. I do a lot of scroll saw work. Some of my projects have 100's of cuts. It really burns me when a person asks how many an hour my laser can knock out. Clueless!!!!

Someone earlier said pricing will depend on if you are doing as a hobby or a living. Mine is a hobby. As a hobby and IMHO the cheapiest you should try to get no less then $10.00 - $15.00 per hour plus costs. Double that for special orders. Costs should include, material, finishes, hardware, booth fee, travel, meals to events, etc.

Any way there is .03 (adjusted for inflation)

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Figure out a price that pays you for the work you do, don't undersell your self. Then add 20%. Usually the gallery sells it at a price that they can make a profit on top of what you get (a lot of times doubling your value).
People who shop in galleries are not Wal-mart shoppers and want unique items and are willing to pay for them. As Dave O says, you can always go down in price.

Good luck.

Jimmy

christopheralan

New User
Christopheralan
Wow. I have a lot to think about. Thanks for all the good advise. I will raise my prices and see what happens. I have been doing alot of research on how to go about this and I think by Monday I will be ready to strike a good deal. I have been reading books, making calls, and surfing the web finding the approach that will work for me. Everything has pointed to me raising my prices.

The best advise I have gotten, I must say, has come from NCWWers. Thanks again. I will let you know what happens after I meet with the dealer.

rhett

New User
rhett
Charging by the square foor is good if your are making something like cabinets doors. Art is subjective. First and foremost you must have the attitude that your work is worth top dollar. My art professors told me to take my time and material and multiply it by 3 when making an "art" piece as a rule. Most reputable gallery owners have a set percentage they increase the price of your work, this is ofcourse dependant of how nice the gallery is. A struggling artist will be happy just to get his/hers work shown to the public. What I am saying is don't sell your ability short, realize that not everyone can do what you do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors