How to Compost Sawdust

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex Franke

New User
Alex
For those of you that (like me) want to get every last ounce of goodness out of the wood you use, here's a roughly 1,600-word tutorial on how to compost sawdust. It covers the basics of how to compost, what you should and shouldn't add to the compost, and has some product links. (The site is monetized -- hope that's okay!)

You can check it out here:

http://plans.thefrankes.com/Tutorials/CompostingSawdust/

Let me know what you think! :)

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Another great tutorial Alex. The only thing I might add is if your C:N ratio gets too high, because you're producing too much sawdust and your kids actually eat their veggies :nah: a little basic 10/10/10 lawn fertilizer will add some additional Nitrogen and keep those microbes breaking things down efficiently.

Dave:)

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
greens are the thing I am missing the most of.... as my yard is covered mostly in pine straw, the grass struggles to get through. I more often mow the weeds and blow the pine straw around with the mower than I actually mow grass.

Alex Franke

New User
Alex
greens are the thing I am missing the most of.... as my yard is covered mostly in pine straw, the grass struggles to get through. I more often mow the weeds and blow the pine straw around with the mower than I actually mow grass.

Yeah, I hear ya. :) Lots of pine needles around here, too.... Might try the fertilizer trick that DaveO suggested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS