How many amp panel for shop?

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
When I built a free standing workshop in 2018, I installed a 200 amp electric panel. Gave me plenty of room for what I needed and room for future circuits. My shop today is in my walkout basement so I share a 400 amp service panel with the house. Having more service than what you need also aids in a future sale.

Red

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
400 Amps? Big house? I doubt many of us have two electric cars. Since you're using an electrician and charging electric cars, he's your best source of info, not the forum!!

Sounds to me like you're better off with a dedicated service. That's what I did with my shop and I've never regretted it. You'll have to weight out the pros and cons for your situation. Cutting that tree would be a big factor for me plus the increased cost of materials. My electrician friend told me the $4800 job he did 6 years ago is double that now.

Last edited:

blackhawk

Brad
Corporate Member
If you are going to install a dedicated service with its own meter, 200 amp is definitely the way to go. The extra cost is not very much from a 100 amp service.

I will caution you on a few things about a dedicated service though. I have one for my detached garage. I am in Virginia, so things may be different in NC. An extra meter creates a 2nd power bill for me each month that does have a minimum charge. For the first 20 years, my total bill was only $13-$20 every month. I only run my planer and dust collector in the detached garage as my main shop is in my house's basement, so I don't use much electricity. My power company, Appalachian Power, has jumped their rates up every year for the past 3 years. In May of 2023, I used 143 kwh and my bill was $33.28. My costs have almost doubled for the dedicated service with the rate increases.

Also, in Virginia, localities such as town, county, city can add a local tax. It is maxed out to $3 for a home. But, the power company treats my garage the same as a business even though it is at my residence and on the same lot. Because of this, my county can charge a higher tax on the garage, that maxes out at $20. For the past 10 months, my local tax for the garage has averaged 12% of my bill which is an outrageous tax percentage.

So, just investigate what your extra meter will cost you and factor that in. If you put in a 400 amp service to your house, it may be better cost wise to run a sub-panel off that.

Ricksmi

Rick
Corporate Member
I use a 100amp panel, SawStop, Jet dust collection, Jet jointer, Rikon lathe, mini split, and EV charger all play nice together and all on separate 220amp circuits. Everything else (CNC, Laser, Miter saw, mini lathe, etc) are all on 20amp circuits (4) except the lights which are on 15amp which is over kill since all my lighting is now LED. Since very few tools are used at once except the mini split always on, EV when charging, and dust collection only comes on with other tools running I have never had an issue popping a breaker. My electrical requirements were designed by a electrician who convinced me after I wanted a 200amp service that would be over kill. But everyone needs are different I called the electrician here in town (8 electricians and 12 plumbers in the business) and they looked at what I was using for tools etc and gave me their recommendations at no cost.

rcarmac

Board of Directors, Secretary
Robert
Staff member
Corporate Member
I get caught more on popped breakers with my heaters. My shop is unconditioned so I have a lot of plug in radiant heaters. I can’t have 2 of them plugged into the same circuit

JRedding

John
Corporate Member
When I built mine about a year ago I had a 200 amp panel installed - electric company ran a new line and no charge because it counted as new residential service. Most of my tools are 220 and each has a dedicated circuit (though I generally only run 1 plus DC at a time). I also did it in case we ever sell and someone decides they want to turn the detached into a guest home - then you can put in full kitchen and anything else.

Bear Republic

Steve
Corporate Member
I plan on putting in 100amp for my small shop but may go 200 depending on costs for the long run. On the EV chargers, I thought I read they require a 50A service. I think in the future they will be more efficient, but certainly check since your wanted two concurrent charges.

AllanD

Allan
Corporate Member
The level 2 EVSEs are usually either on a 50 amp breaker with a 14-50 receptacle for the charger to plug into and deliver 40 amps continuous. Or a 60 amp breaker and hardwired to deliver 48 amps continuous. Hence why I recommended a 200 amp service since he was considering having two chargers at some point.

Dreuxgrad

Ed
Senior User
So Jeff, having you in the Durham shop, and having gas in the house, ended up 80A for the house panel and 120 for the addition/shop. I would pull 200A line. Much depends on your calculated load, and I think it might have a 80% max load rating too, but I'll defer to contemporary code requirements on that. Extra slots for expansion are a must.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors