how effective are the entry level dust collection systems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
I would like to eliminate that ultra-fine dust that gets airborn and settles on everything in my garage even in the furthest corners. I will only be running one tool at a time so I don't need any more CFM than would be required for one tool.

Do the sub $200 systems work well at capturing these very fine particles?

Thanks

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
:thumbs_do
You need to move a LOT of air through a LOT of fine filter medium for such a large area. Sub $200 systems work with limited results in a confined space where there is little volume of air to move. IMO, they are nothing more than a placebo for large areas. Ultimately, aggressive filtration depends on catching it at the source. It's hard to take 3 micron particles out of the air with a 10 micron filter. It's also hard to do it quickly before it settles without moving a lot of air.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I run a 1 hp Jet DC and it wasn't until I got an air filter system Jet AFS-1000 that I saw a great decrease in the fine dust that settled on everything. The nice thing about the air filter is that it has a timer and can be set to run for a while after I'm done working.

Dave:)

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
You can get by with one of the sub $200 units, but I would add a cartridge filter to it like a Wynn or another brand. The bags that come on the lower priced units will let out a lot of the fine dust until they get "coated" on the inside.

pslamp32

New User
Peter
You can get by with one of the sub $200 units, but I would add a cartridge filter to it like a Wynn or another brand. The bags that come on the lower priced units will let out a lot of the fine dust until they get "coated" on the inside.

+1

The Wynn rocks!

M

McRabbet

David,

First, I recommend you spend some time on the most comprehensive website on the planet devoted to dust collection, that of Bill Pentz. The critical factor in capturing the finest dust is to capture it at the source with a high velocity air flow. While the ceiling air "cleaners" with sub-micron filters others have suggested do work to remove ultra-fine airborne dust particles, your lungs also capture them whenever they are generated by a running tool in your shop. If you can discharge all of your dust collector exhaust outdoors after capturing it at the sources, then it cannot escape into your shop space (not easily done if the collector has a bag or cartridge filter since that is where the exhaust is filtered).

About the lowest cost solution I know of that is fairly effective is the "2 HP" Harbor Freight (or equivalent) dust collector retro-fitted with a large 0.5 micron cartridge filter from Wynn Environmental. It will cost about $100-175 plus shipping to add an efficient filter to an existing dust collector. The best overall solution is a large cyclone dust collector with direct exhaust outdoors or through 0.5 micron filters it the air is recirculated.

Or just spend $200 for 40 Drawing tickets and maybe you'll win the ClearVue Cyclone in the Spring Drawing! :dontknow: It has two large capacity 0.5 micron filters and operates at 1,400 cfm!
I would like to eliminate that ultra-fine dust that gets airborn and settles on everything in my garage even in the furthest corners. I will only be running one tool at a time so I don't need any more CFM than would be required for one tool.

Do the sub $200 systems work well at capturing these very fine particles?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS