How Do I Attach a Word/PDF document to a Thread/Post?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MT native

New User
Jane
I need to add a couple of documents to my thread. The existing FAQ's and Help Desk posts are very confusing on this matter. Any searchs for Word and PDF(s) fail.

Please add a current FAQ on the status of attaching Word/PDF documents to threads/posts. If it is still possible, please include a HOW TO ATTACH DOCUMENTS.

Thanks so much,
Jane

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Hi Jane,

To add a file, click the "Downloads" button at the top of the page. Then, under "Navigation", you'll see a bunch of links:
Main | Category Tree | Stats | Search | Add | My Files

Click on "Add". This will take you to a screen similar to what's used for posting messages. Enter a title and some text to describe the file you're attaching, e.g. "This document describes the mathematics behind random scratch patterns created by 150 grit on a Random Orbit Sander".

At the bottom, below the edit box, there is a button to browse for files. Browse for the file on your local machine, then click "Add File".

If these instructions work for you, let me know and I'll add it to the FAQ. If you need more help - just post back here!

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Oh, sorry, forgot to add in the last piece of info. :BangHead:

You can't attach files (or pictures for that matter) directly to your threads. It causes all sorts of headaches. You'll need to put the file in the Download Library, then add a link to the file in your post.

To add a link, upload the file as described above. Then, from the Download Library screen, locate the little blue circle with the two down arrows (">>") in it. See the screenshot below. Right-click on the blue circle next to your file, and select "Copy link location" (the menu may look differently depending on what browser you use).

download_howto.jpg

Next, go to your post. Add a link via the URL button (world globe with chainlinks). Click on the button, and paste the link to your file. The link should look something like this:

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=167&act=down

I know, it's not as easy as things could be. If you get lost along the way, PM me and you can send me the files via e-mail, and I'll help getting them uploaded.

MT native

New User
Jane
Bas,
I sent you a PM with the steps that I used (following your original Post above). Odd thing is none of my edits to my thread are showing up and the edits to the File in the Download Library are not changed either (e.g.: added an image and revised text).
So I was going to revise the thread AGAIN, (Homemade Foredom Relief Carving Jig) to following your updated steps above but the >> did not offer a "copy link location". What's up??
Jane

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Hi Jane,

I got your message, the instructions you provided look GREAT! I will stick them in the FAQ as soon as possible. Thanks for doing this, it will help others in the future.

I noticed that you have a link in your posting to the Download Library. It's not a direct link (it takes you to the Jigs category page), I can fix that to make it directly point to the PDF file, if you prefer. To get a link to the file, put your mouse on the blue circle with the >> signs pointing downward, and right-click. Depending on the browser, it will say "Copy link location" or "Copy Shortcut".

The entry in the Download Library does have an image (two actually), so if you added those later, that is definitely showing up. But I don't think entries in the Library have text that states the text was modified, like postings do.

Five years from now our software will be smart enough we can just drag and drop stuff...I hope...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS