House of drawers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
You may have seen the threads on the cabinet project I am working on. This thread is for the drawers. All 42 of them.

Normally, I like to dovetail all my drawers. Historically, I have used my Leigh jig, but when you have a lot of drawers to do, it is SLOW as you have to do each part individually. So, me being the tool junkie I am, I bought a Porter Cable 4212 jig a year or so ago as you can do a half blind dovetail on a side and front simultaneously.

For this project, I am not doing that. This is a freebie, and he wants to get done, so I am using a drawer lock joint.

A drawer lock really is pretty easy once you get your cutter set up to the right height and your fence placed correctly. For 1/2 inch sides I found approximately 3/8" height to be correct and tuned it for a good fit from there. If you are using plywood as I did, a zero clearance fence is a MUST otherwise you will have horrendous tear out. Believe me, I know.

Picture is a bit blurry, but I think it is visible showing the joint.
100_1089.JPG

Instead of just gluing and clamping, I glue and staple using a narrow crown stapler with 7/8" staples. The suggestions on reducing air pressue have made a world of difference in this category for me. :confused_:embaresse Amazing.

Then we have slides. I am using two types. Blum 3/4 extension nylon roller slides. For these slides, the drawer has to be 1" less in width to allow for the size of the slide. I personally prefer the under mount blu-motion slides with soft self close, but cost is a factor here. These slides run less than $5 a pair. blu-motion runs over $30.
100_10871.JPG

The other style of slide I am using is full extension ball bearing slides rated for 100 pounds. I used these on the pull out trays in the kitchen (white) and the drawers in the office (silver/chrome). These are very smooth, but take a bit to get used to installing. Not bad though. You can also see that this particular set of drawers isn't very deep. That is because they are actually pull out trays. In the cabinets in the kitchen, every lower cabinet has 2 pull out trays to make it easier to get to stuff. It is a nice touch on kitchen cabinets, but does add a bit more work. To be exact, it adds 8 tray units, 4 of which are pretty darn large.
100_10881.JPG

Lets see, let me give some perspectives here.
There are 42 drawer/tray units. So that makes for 42 drawer bottoms, and 168 drawer sides/fronts/backs (not including the false fronts) so that is 210 parts for 42 drawers/trays.

For these 168 parts each requires a 1/4" dado for the drawer bottom.
The tray unit sides/fronts/backs require a 1/8" round over on all 4 edges and the remaining 104 parts require a 1/8" round over on the top two edges so that is 464 round overs.

Each side/front/back needs a drawer lock on 2 edges so that is 336 passes on the router table for drawer lock joints.

Then you have to sand all the parts. I will say, the wide belt sander makes this sweet. In 45 minutes I sand all the parts front and back to 120 grit.

Then you have organizing all the parts and assembly. Of course I cut a couple of parts wrong and had to redo some, but a major lesson here is ALWAYS MAKE SOME EXTRA PARTS! I heard a little flak about why did you make so much extra, well, no one is perfect and we all screw up.

Next comes finishing. I spray 3 coats of water based lacquer lightly sanding after the first coat to knock of the raised grain.

After all that, you still have to install all the slides. 2 parts are installed per drawer.

Finally, you have drawers. Here are 25 of them ready to go. The other 17 got finished early yesterday evening and taken to the house. Do note the wide belt sander :gar-Bi and the 16 inch jointer :gar-Bi in the background.

Do not note the bent/broken air pipe by the jointer. :BangHead: Haven't had a chance to fix that.
100_10861.JPG

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Boy Travis that is some undertaking. Once you finish this I doubt you will have the stomach to make an other cabinet or draw for years to come.

dave "dhi"

New User
Dave
travis, its gonna be all well worth it when your able to sit back and enjoy a beer with a visitor and reflect back at the time u put in it. i spent months:help: completing the entire inside of my recently completed new home. useing strictly rough sawn lumber from property to run all basebaord and casings to all windows, seemed never ending, but what a conversation piece it is now(never do that again tho).
as for kitchen and bath cabinets, i had the cabinet company do them. thank god. one thing i did go with was them soft close runners, and ill tell u , money well spent. love them to death!
as for those ash slabs you sold me for my mantel, they went awsome with the stone and ash cabinets i built on each side from sawn lumber again from property! thanks again!

look forward to seeing finished product and maybe when complete we can show each other our finished work! gotta see the screen porch wraped and trimed out with all red cedar again from property! ya, my buddy jack(saw4you) and i cut all that lumber!

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I for one am truly amazed that you got the drawer locks to come out consistenly even with backer boards. My one time attempt with ply was a mess.

You have either:
1. better stock
2. sharper cutters
3. better technique
or
4. do you hold your mouth in a particular twist?
5. kill a chicken at midnight under a full moon?

Tell us your secret!
:gar-La;
Joe

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Dave:

The only problem with sitting "back and enjoy a beer with a visitor and reflect back at the time u put in it" is that the cabinets are not in his house. :rotflm: They're in a buddy's place, and I doubt Travis is going to go hang out there for a while. He'd rather see the tail end of this project in his review mirror for some time to come.

Doug

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
nice work travis!:icon_thum BTW my wife wants these cabinets for her....... oh never mind!:rotflm:

dave "dhi"

New User
Dave
ohh , doug my friend, im a self employed carpenter, and i have sat back after a job with a customer/friend and have enjoyed a few cold ones and reflected at time spent doing the job !!!:rotflm:

tho i didnt know it was for a customer!:BangHead:

dave

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
When you said plywood, my mouth dropped. I have two dovetail bits hanging in the shop as a reminder to me as to what plywood did for my dovetail drawers. Happy to see that yours are coming along well. I always thought it was something I was doing wrong. Maybe it was. Let us know when it is time to bring out the beer. Lorraine:rotflm:

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Nice lookin' drawers!! :icon_thum

Some day I'd like to learn the secret of installing drawers with BB slides. I wrestled with the first half on my workbench tonight and need to move them all slightly tomorrow to space.

Of course, with 42 to make I bet you designed a nice jig to align them. :eusa_thin

Can you see the end is in sight?

Chuck

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Well, the end is coming. I had to remake three drawers tonight. 2 because they were 1/16" too wide :BangHead: and one because he neglected to tell me he had run the dishwasher lines behind it so I had to make it two inches shorter. :roll:

As for a jig, nope, no jigs for slide installation. Just cut some spacers when I mounted the slides in the carcass and measure up for the ball bearing ones.

I can see the end. Doug Robinson came over last night and we got all the drawer fronts but 6 cut to size. Tonight, the guy that is getting them even cranked up and used a couple of the stationary tools (jointer, saw) and that is a first through this entire project.

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
:notworthy:Lil brother what can I say. You do excellent work.
I havent played with that drawer joint yet but plan on it.
Thanks for the walk thru.

I know that this has been on going for a bit now. I know that you have to be happy to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Especially on a freebe.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
Travis,

Looking great.

When I put slide out trays in our old island, I used 3/4 melamine and put on a solid oak edge about 1/4 thick. I just glued and pin nailed the oak to the melamine. Not very fancy but it worked very well. The melamine is cheap, doesn't need a finish, and is durable. I since changed out the island for one with all drawers - half blind dovetails with a HF jig in 1/2 BB plywood. I guess it takes a little more time than a drawer lock bit but not all that much. I used a drawer lock joint like you illustrate in little jewelry chest drawers. I agree they go quick once the setup is done and you need a flush surface with only the cutting edge of the router bit protruding. My router table fence is also melamine so I just burried the bit in the replacable sliding part of the fence.

Jim

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Travis,

Looking great.

When I put slide out trays in our old island, I used 3/4 melamine and put on a solid oak edge about 1/4 thick. I just glued and pin nailed the oak to the melamine. Not very fancy but it worked very well. The melamine is cheap, doesn't need a finish, and is durable. I since changed out the island for one with all drawers - half blind dovetails with a HF jig in 1/2 BB plywood. I guess it takes a little more time than a drawer lock bit but not all that much. I used a drawer lock joint like you illustrate in little jewelry chest drawers. I agree they go quick once the setup is done and you need a flush surface with only the cutting edge of the router bit protruding. My router table fence is also melamine so I just burried the bit in the replacable sliding part of the fence.

Jim

The oak 1/4 inch thick I understand, but how tall did you make it? 2"? Now that you mention it this way, that would make sense and it would have been easier.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
Yes, it was about 2 inches, it depended mainly on the size of the oak scrap I had around. They may be a bit more than this but are less than 2 1/2 inches. I made it thin both to get a little more space on the shelf/drawer and to be able to get two pieces out of a 3/4 board. On a couple, the oak is a little thinner because the width was a bit much for the slide to go freely. A visit to the table saw and a little more sanding and finish cured it.

I use one of these trays now in my shop to clean table saw blades. I squirt on the cleaner and let it sit for 5-15 minutes. The cleaner doesn't hurt the melamine nor does the brass brush I scrub it a little with.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS