House/Kitchen Remodel - In Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Well, it started as getting our badly beaten oak floors sanded down and refinished ... and turned into bit of a house update (taking it out of the 80's) and a kitchen remodel (on a budget).

Though I'm not doing much of the work myself, I think it would be of interest to other woodworkers/DIYers.

We are not done yet (as the pictures will tell), but much progress has been made towards our vision. In the end, I hope to feel like I'm living in a house not stuck in 1987 (though my garage still has some beautiful ... okay, not so much ... wood paneling!)

To give you an idea of what a mess we made ... even had the kids helping with the cleanup!

Before: Old, white laminate countertops. 42" cabinets coming down from the ceiling, blocking any view from the kitchen to the dining room and family room.

Before: Wooden posts that run floor to ceiling. Divider with spindles between dining room and family room. Light oak floor beaten up badly over the years by people and dogs and cats.

Before: Old stainless steel sink. More white laminate countertop.

So ... now you know where it was ... here's some pictures from the progress that's been made thus far.

In progress: The floors got sanded.

In progress: The huge ceiling-hung cabinets come down!

In progress: All of the base moulding came out.

In progress: The incorrectly hung doors got corrected:

In progress: The wood-color crown moulding started to go white.

In progress: The new tops arrived and got installed:

And where we are right now:

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I remember the ceiling cabinets. It seemed kind of "boxy" and blocked off the kitchen. I would expect the loss of cabinets is well worth the openness you are gaining.

Lots of work going on that is for sure. It looks to be progressing very nicely!

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
A major remodel in progress there, Jeremy!!!

It is looking really nice. Now that would be a lot of work to do, along with the day job and all of your other projects!!:BangHead::BangHead:

I see some inconvenience there, but it will reward itself in no time flat! I am sure that your LOYL is looking forward to completion.:gar-Bi:gar-Bi:gar-Bi The wee ones sure look like their ready to pitch in as well!

Looking really nice and thanks for sharing the progress.

Wayne

(Oh ya. You were busy updating the shop with new tool cabs, right? A win-win right there, I'd say!:eusa_clap)

M

McRabbet

Jeremy,

Nice job so far -- it really brightens up the kitchen and makes it much more of an up-to-date gathering place. One suggestion I have is to add clear Lexan to the painted wall below your extended countertop and behind the corbels. I did this on a commissioned job I did to protect the wall surface from foot scuffs when anyone is sitting in a stool next to the overhang. I just drilled holes in the corners of the Lexan and used plastic mirror rosettes from Lowe's to hold it on.

100_3476.jpg

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Nice job Jeremy, I know what you are going through = we are still working on our house - little at a time

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Minor update ... I spent the morning installing the doors, handles and knobs. We changed over to Euro-style hinges to clean up the look and installed hardware to change the look a bit more.

I did run into one issue ... but I'll get that in a new thread to see if I can get an answer.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Now that the house stuff is done, I have to get rid of the stuff we didn't use ... like a 4ft flourescent light from out kitchen and a dishwasher! If it's not one thing, it's another!

If anyone wants the light ... it's all yours (free) and if someone needs a dishwasher, let me know too ... maybe work out a super sweet NCWW-only deal!

gordonmt

New User
Mark Gordon
Looks good Jeremy and I can see the amount of work that went into the project.
We are just starting our major remodel so i would love to get any information from you about the granite etc. Maybe we can hook up at the Charlotte breakfast on the 31st.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Our kitchen is from the 80s too ...err 1880s. We would like to do some major work but stuck in limbo not sure if we can move or not. Every time we get ours sold and find a place to buy something gets whacky and kills the deal.

You did a great job on that remodel. :icon_thum

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
What are you going to treat yourself & the rest of the family to, now that you've survived the remodel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS