Honduran Mahogany ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Turner

David
Corporate Member
I have a chance to purchase some Honduran mahogany. I know very little about mahogany and even less about Honduran mahogany. Can anyone share their knowledge and experience with this lumber? What would be a reasonable price per board foot. It is available from a widow of a woodworker and I would not want to cheat her because of my lack of knowledge.

David Turner
North Raleigh

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Real Honduran Mahogany is not cheap. Klingspor had some in the $8-9 bf range for 4/4 and $15-16 bf range for 8/4. That is my only reference point. I used it to make a nursery glider for my nephew. It was a dream to work with - very clean - no waste - cut and milled very easily and is beautiful to look at. You might check recent prices at West Penn or The Hardwood Store if they currently carry it for further reference.

jazzflute

Kevin
Corporate Member
From Hearne: hearnehardwoods.com

Screen Shot 2017-03-10 at 12.08.15 PM.png

K

David Turner

David
Corporate Member
Just found out it is the mahogany that is in the classified on this website advertised by Ken_NC (widow's brother). They will take $8.00 per board foot is any of you are interested. That is too rich for my projects. I am a cherry and walnut guy @ $5.00 BF

David Turner
North Raleigh

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
$8.00 per board foot is very fair. It is great wood to work with

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
I have a chance to purchase some Honduran mahogany. I know very little about mahogany and even less about Honduran mahogany. Can anyone share their knowledge and experience with this lumber? What would be a reasonable price per board foot. It is available from a widow of a woodworker and I would not want to cheat her because of my lack of knowledge.

David Turner
North Raleigh
First, I would ask , how much of it does she have?. Do you or her know anything about it?. Where it came from?. Thickness?. The reason I ask is you or her probably dont know anything about it and that should go to pricing it. Unless she has a receipt of some sort stating its KD from a local supplier, it could be anything. Genuinine mahogany as its known, is an awesome wood to work with and highly sought after but if there is only a couple boards, its probably not worth many peoples time to travel to buy something no one really knows anything about and pay close to full lumber yard pricing for. Unless there is over 100 BF or so and possibly heavy stock, like 8/4, I wouldnt say its worth more than $5/bf. Thats my take on it anyways.

tarheelz

Dave
Corporate Member
Just found out it is the mahogany that is in the classified on this website advertised by Ken_NC (widow's brother). They will take $8.00 per board foot is any of you are interested. That is too rich for my projects. I am a cherry and walnut guy @ $5.00 BF

David Turner
North Raleigh

I want this walnut you speak of at $5/bf. Where?

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Jack may be able to get FAS BW but you have to explicitly tell him that you want FAS. Just my experience, and I'm not knocking Jack either, he's a fair guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS