Holly cut down

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
Asplough was through here a few weeks ago and topped a holly tree that was encroaching on the power lines. This is one that fought with me when I mowed, so my wife and I decided it was time to cut it down. The trunk is about 12" in diameter, and the trunk is 10' before it starts the bend. I'm going to keep a couple feet of it and turn something on my lathe. If anyone wants a portion of it, let me know and I'll save some for you.
20230220_161936.jpg

20230220_161955.jpg

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'd like a chunk of it. It turns beautifully. Perhaps you can hold it for me until the picnic, unless there is a pony express heading to Raleigh sooner. No rush from my side.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
If it lasts till the picnic, I'll take a section or two, please.
And thank you very much.

bowman

Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
Assuming there is room in the truck, I'll save you a chunk Gene.

HITCH-

Hitch
Corporate Member
Holly is wonderful for segmented woodturning.
It is one species that truly looks white and lends itself to great contrast.
Wish you were closer.

tghsmith

tghs
User
holly will spalt quickly,, get it cut to the needed sizes asap so it can start air drying.. I lost some nice holly a few years back by just letting it sit as logs.. I did get a small holly trunk a fews weeks back and cut it into stock for my model work..

Attachments

• IMGP0050.JPG
    IMGP0050.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 79

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
holly will spalt quickly,, get it cut to the needed sizes asap so it can start air drying.. I lost some nice holly a few years back by just letting it sit as logs.. I did get a small holly trunk a fews weeks back and cut it into stock for my model work..
I never had any luck with holly shrubs. They always seem to turn grey very quickly.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
It turns easily and dries hard, but really lacks any character for things like bowl turning (IMO). Great for tool handles, inlay, etc.

For what it's worth, I've tried to 'brighten' some dingy holly with wood bleach (oxalic acid) and it had basically no effect on the level of whiteness.

-Mark

bowman

Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
Define 'a piece', i can try to get a weight approximation for you.

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
I purchases a piece of 8”x8”x2” wax coated holly and turned a bowl 1” thick. The piece deformed severely and could not be used for a bowl. I tried with fresh holly with the same issue. I was successful with a closed form but have never had success with an open form when turned green. Seems the hardness is similar to pine.
I prefer Magnolia for turning as it looks similar, smells awesome and works well. It is also very soft

bowman

Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks. I've never tried anything with holly, so it's just going to be a learning experience.

Matt Furjanic

New User
Matt
I never had any luck with holly shrubs. They always seem to turn grey very quickly.Rough saw to
Thanks. I've never tried anything with holly, so it's just going to be a learning experience.
Rough saw to size. If you can, get it kiln dried as soon as possible to minimize the sap from fermenting. Sap fermentation is what causes the discoloring. The pros put it in the kiln immediately after the tree is felled, and use rock salt to get the moisture out fast. Otherwise it will almost always discolor if air dried. This is why creamy white holly is so expensive.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
I purchases a piece of 8”x8”x2” wax coated holly and turned a bowl 1” thick. The piece deformed severely and could not be used for a bowl. I tried with fresh holly with the same issue. I was successful with a closed form but have never had success with an open form when turned green. Seems the hardness is similar to pine.
I prefer Magnolia for turning as it looks similar, smells awesome and works well. It is also very soft
That seems odd to me as I have turned a number of bowls from holly, some in the 10" range and they are not particulary worse for warping after the first turning than anything else.

May I ask how you dried it in between the first and would-be second turning? I use the 'stick it in a paper bag with its own damp shavings and forget about it for months' method.

-Mark

rjet

New User
rjet
Has anyone had a turned holly item turn green? My friend got wood from a holly tree, it had lots of knots and bark in it, turned it and put 2-part epoxy resin on it. Then it turned green. He filled the cracks with sawdust and glue.

Attachments

• Vases 1.jpeg
    Vases 1.jpeg
    488.4 KB · Views: 28
  • Vases 2.jpeg
    Vases 2.jpeg
    654.9 KB · Views: 29

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
If you don't cut Holly during the winter I believe, it's usually turn green. I believe it needs to be dormant when you cut it in order for it to stay white. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS