Hinge selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Dunn

New User
Tom Dunn
Been looking for something a little different in the way of hinges for a cherry chest I'm nearing completion on.
I wanted black iron, but don't care too much for the strap style.
Bizzilions of offerings out there, but these caught my eye, so, I've decided to go with these:

02004570-lg.jpg

http://www.vandykes.com/product/02004570/

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
I like them, Tom. Van Dyke has good stuff and good service usually. When can we see "the product?"

Tom Dunn

New User
Tom Dunn
Well, the hinges arrived yesterday and frankly, I'm not too happy with them.
They are quite thin and "tinny", lightest duty really, the halves, on both hinges, are skewed off the centerline a bit (as to work against each other perhaps?) and the finish differed noticeably between the two I recieved. One was a flat black with a residue of some sort on it, the other, a noticeably more shiny grayish color. Attempts to remove the reside with cleaner failed, use of very fine steel wool removed both the residue and the finish, leaving bare steel.
These two hinges cost $22 and change, to my door.
I will likely remove the finish on both, then apply a cold blue solution, like is used on rifle barrels, or perhaps darken them some other way.
I've not decided if they will find their way onto the chest, I'm gonna keep looking some more I think.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors