Hi!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve W

New User
Steve
Thanks, Cathy. I hope to actually make something soon ;-) So far, it's been mostly repairs to the house, but I am getting big plans for the kitchen!

stoneskippers

New User
John Skipper
welcome aboard. we were all yankees at one time!

fred
Glad to have you aboard. Great group of people. LOML and I love to get together and meet the other members as often as we can. I must make one correction. Some of us were blessed to have been born and raised for generations in the Tarheel State.

M

McRabbet

Hey Steve, check out this thread for a used 6" jointer for sale by one of the members of the site.

Rob

Steve W

New User
Steve
Thanks, Bryan. Off-topic, but I notice fro your avatar that you fish, too. Maybe some time we could go after some. Got a boat.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Another warm welcome from a native Steve :)
Hope you enjoy the site, it is a tremendous resource for woodworking and fun.

Roger (who dreams of a shop that large :lol:)

Steve W

New User
Steve
Thanks, all! Yeah, I know there are a lot of folks who have escaped to NC. We have no intention of leaving, either. We do get chances to visit friends & family a couple of times per year but we're content to stay. In fact my son & his GF have followed us and are staying with us while they sort out their careers, etc.

Yes, I sort of cheated with the shop building and had Dutch Barns come over and put it up in a day. I've added two lofts to it for more storage but figure with mobile bases that I have plenty of room to work with anything up to about 8 - 10 ft long. I will continue to cut sheet goods outside on horses with a circ saw & straightedge just like I did up North.

The one thing that I'm trying to figure out now is how big of a "real" workbench to make and where to place it.

I saw the jointer post and I'm tempted but would prefer one with handwheel adjustments.

Cheers, everyone!

Steve W

New User
Steve
I've heard that they're easier to set up.

I guess I need to solicit some opinions on this. Before I left Mass., I sold my old 4 1/4" vintage 1950 Craftsman. That one used a wheel, too, and was easy to set precisely. Guess I'll start a new thread.

M

McRabbet

I bought a 6" Grizzly jointer w/ handwheels 2 years ago and it is easy to adjust. Interstingly, most of the newer jointers are using parallelogram adjustments (a very old and accurate method - see this thread and this final thread on the rehab of a 12" Crescent jointer I worked on with a fellow member).

Rob

chris99z71

New User
Chris
Welcome Steve! Another transplant here (Binghamton & Rochester, NY).

If you're interested in building a workbench and want to aim for the stars, check out Monty's thread here. Guaranteed to make you drool. Enjoy!

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
Welcome and I'm sure you'll enjoy the site...lots of great folks here and all are willing to help.

DavidF

New User
David
Hi Steve, I'll add my welcome. I was a transplant from Fremont NH, between Portsmouth and Manchester (not originally:lol: ) I was up there 5 years and don't miss it at all, well September was nice! I had a basement shop up there and scoured around for houses here with Basement, but nothing. Turned out to be a blessing as we had enough profit from the exorbitant house prices up there compared to here to have a 20 x 20 shop built so all's well in the end.

Steve W

New User
Steve
I hear that, David! We cashed out, too, but didn't get out soon enough. We still did alright and I had the shed built so that I could quickly fill it up (if I had done it myself it would still be unfinished :BangHead: )

I still have a lot of friends up there but would never move back. I am done with 6 months of winter :lol: .

DavidF

New User
David
I hear that, David! We cashed out, too, but didn't get out soon enough. We still did alright and I had the shed built so that I could quickly fill it up (if I had done it myself it would still be unfinished :BangHead: )

I still have a lot of friends up there but would never move back. I am done with 6 months of winter :lol: .

Yep, not me either. This is a nice state. I love the fact that once the warm whether starts then that's it for the next 6 months - love it.

My basic 20 x 20 wired, but not insulated shop was $12K!! built to match the house so should add value in the long term as another garage or boat store if we happen to sell to a non woodworker - Heaven forbid!!

Steve W

New User
Steve
As soon as it warms up again, I've got to figure out how to arrange things in it. It should be plenty of space; I built all my kitchen cabinets for the old house in MA in a space in the cellar that was about 7 x 14. I was going to put some of my ham radio stuff out there too, but have now decided against that idea due to space and sawdust. I figure I'm in about 6k for my shop right now. Not bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS