HF nail guns?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
I recall reading that HF nail guns may be better than average HF quality - which is not too high a bar. I generally try to stay away from HF for tools with any moving parts - but I had the impression that their nail guns were an exception and may be worth it for occasional use.

Does anyone have recommendations for a finish nailer? Presumably a 16 ga up to 2.5" nailer

I am going to embark on two trim projects and I am considering:
- a PC compressor/nailer package for about $250, which I am somewhat reluctant to do because I do not foresee a lot of use for a compressor (for my style of WW) and I do not like the noise.
- a Lowes Kobalt regulator with compressed gas cylinder optin, and then buying a separate nail gun (hence the HF nail gun question).

Other options, ideas, or recommendations?

Thanks

Henry

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
My HF nailers have performed the job you are considering admirably. I might not take them with me if I were installing 3500 sqft of hardwood flooring /week again, but for occasional use as you describe, mine are working just fine.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Yeah, I am a broken record on this subject... :)

In town (I notice you are in Raleigh) at the walk in HF store, you can get a full replacement extended warranty for only a little more. This makes their products easier to consider.

Oh yeah, if you don't have one, I can look to see if I have a 20% off coupon. They have been in a lot of mags lately.

James Anderson Jr

New User
James
I have one of their 18 ga. nailers; have not had any issues with it on light/hobby work. The setup from lowes would be extremely handy if you ever end up doing work somewhere that has a necessity for a strict control of noise pollution.

rick7938

New User
Rick
I have had very good luck with HF nailers. I have a framing nailer, an 18 ga. brad nailer, a 1/4" stapler, a 1/2" stapler, and a 23 ga. pin nailer. I had to return the brad nailer a couple of times until I found one that fed reliably, but it has worked with only an occasional jam for 3-4 years. Just feed them a few drops of oil every day that you use them, and they seem to work well.

Good luck with you purchase.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I have three, a brad nailer, a nailer/stapler and a 23ga pinner. All work reasonably well. They are only used occasionally.

One thing I don't like is that they don't drive the fasteners to a consistent depth. Sometimes a brad or staple is left sticking out of the surface which has to be removed. When that happens they usually bend, so trying to pound them in the rest of the way seldom works. On occasion I have been able to clip the head close to the surface then use a nail set to sink the rest.

I also have a Porter Cable finish nailer. It works flawlessly every time.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
I had the nailer/stapler and it worked without problem for a couple of years... gave it to a friend when I bought a P-C kit several years ago. Another friend who does handyman jobs on weekends, swears by them... says he has never had a failure.

ncguy77

New User
Jim
Got an 18ga 2" max and it was trash. Inconsistent drive and the worst part is that it jammed about 50X what my old PC Bn200 did. Also the thing needed to unscrew four allen head bolts to clear the jam which was the real killer (versus a quick-flip lever to access jam). Replaced with a Milwaukee that I got a slickdeal on and never looked back.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Got an 18ga 2" max and it was trash. Inconsistent drive and the worst part is that it jammed about 50X what my old PC Bn200 did. Also the thing needed to unscrew four allen head bolts to clear the jam which was the real killer (versus a quick-flip lever to access jam). Replaced with a Milwaukee that I got a slickdeal on and never looked back.

There are, to be sure, different levels in the HF nailer line, my 18 ga nailer has a quick release to clear jams, my 23 ga pin nailer does not... but then I can't remember the last time it misfired, either.

ehpoole

Ethan
Since you are already considering the $250 range with the PC compressor kit, why not consider the Bostitch Kit available at Lowes for $259 ($20 less than when I bought mine last year).

URL: http://www.lowes.com/pd_253002-354-...RL=/pl_Air+Compressors_4294936098_4294937087__

I purchased this kit last summer and have not had any issues whatsoever. It consists of a 6-gal pancake compressor, 16-ga 2-1/2" Finish Nailer, 18-ga 2" Brad Nailer, and an 18-ga 1/4" crown stapler up to 1-1/2" long.

I chose the kit largely because it gave me 3 good quality nailers with a decent portable compressor. Ultimately I will get a 60-80-gallon compressor for my shop to supply more demanding pneumatic tools, but it is handly to have a smaller portable unit for around-the-house and away-from-home jobs.

Dean Maiorano

New User
Dino
> You could achieve a similar result as the Kobalt product by getting a 5 gallon refillable tank that can then be refilled at a gas station...

> You can sell the PC tools once you're done with them. If you take care of them you can easily get 50 - 75% of a (smart) purchase price. You could buy used to begin with and resell afterwards.

> One way of dealing with the compressor noise is to buy a long enough hose and put the compressor outside.

> I did some research on the Lowes/Kobalt set up...the Sawmill Creek and Lumber Jock guys have discussed it (LG has comments from people that have used the product):

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=54534

http://lumberjocks.com/reviews/161

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
I had the nailer/stapler and it worked without problem for a couple of years... gave it to a friend when I bought a P-C kit several years ago. Another friend who does handyman jobs on weekends, swears by them... says he has never had a failure.

Wow I am impressed by all the good reviews about the Nailers.:eusa_thin

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
I apparently bought the same model because it jammed as frequently and required the 4 bolts to unjam.

Replace it with a PC nailer and put the HF in the trash.

-Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS