HF #78 Duplex Phillister hand plane

Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
I have had this plane for a while, I just wanted to show everyone that you can get really good results from a HF hand plane. I did have to lap the sole and throw a file on some of the parts to so the blade would mate better.

Video_Camera_503.jpg

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showphoto.php?photo=27120&ppuser=429
Video_Camera_502.jpg

Video_Camera_505.jpg

Didn't know how to post the pictures.

Last edited by a moderator:

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
You give me hope! I have that plane, but have not diddled with tuning it beyond a sharp iron.

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
its actually a really decent hand plane. For the price you cant beat it and if you do get an old Stanley 78 you would be hard pressed normally to find all of the parts for the fence and depth guide. For a hand plane thats not an every day user it fits the bill.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
:eusa_thin:eusa_thin:eusa_thin Hmmm, I have an old Stanley #78, missing parts of course. I wonder how the parts from the HF plane would mesh with the Stanley. I might just have to take it over to HF to find out :eusa_thin:eusa_thin

Dave:)

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
Dave,
I know for a fact that they fit perfect! I have an old #78 as well that I started out with with no fence or other parts. When looking for parts for it I contacted a guy that was selling the fence. I asked him where he purchased the parts and he told me they were from the HF model. I thought to myself why not have two of them ready to go, all I have to do is swap out the fence when one gets dull.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thumSweet, thanks MG. I'll have to stop by HF next week at work.

Dave:)

Lamar

New User
Lamar
FWIW dept. My first reply went south, anyway

Lie Nelson sells very good irons for both the Stanley 78 and the Record 778 knockoffs. I own a Record 778 copy and found that was the only weakness.

It was well worth the extra $$ for the iron considering how little I paid for the plade.

Lamar

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Impressive! I am not surprised at the results as I learned the same lesson with some record handplanes I have. I do wonder how well the blade will hold an edge compared to say a hock blade.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Kevin, I think I still have the box for mine in the shop, back with the HF item number in a jiffy!

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
I to have doubts about that blade. I don't use the plane all that much and as stated before I have an old Stanley 78 that I keep sharp as well. Eventually I will upgrade the blade on it but that is low on the list of priority's. All in all I don't mind sharpening blades either, I'm one of those sick individuals that find it therapeutic. God bless friends.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
HF stock # is 90310, and when I searched for it on line at HF, this message came back:

The Specifications for this item are not currently available online, or the item has been discontinued

IIRC, I have never seen this on the HF website, might be something that is only available in the stores?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors